Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Naber <lu...@danielnaber.de> on 2005/11/08 23:28:03 UTC

compatibility of Lucene 1.9

Hi,

I added this to our CHANGES file:

Note that this realease is mostly but not 100% source compatible with the
latest release of Lucene (1.4.3). In other words, you should make sure
your application compiles with this version of Lucene before you replace
the old Lucene JAR with the new one.

This refers to the fact that for example some methods in Query now throw an
IOException that didn't throw this exception before. Everyone feel free to
modify this warning, as I'm not sure if it's worded correctly.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: compatibility of Lucene 1.9

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
> > If not, then our next release version should just be 2.0 and skip
> > 1.9, don't ya think?

As other said - we want 1.9 + 2.0 so we can clean up deprecated stuff.

> FWIW... One reason I haven't been persistent or hurried about the
> UTF-8-clean/speedup patches is because they aren't backwards
> compatible, and thus should not be considered prior to a 1.9
> release.  The other is that I suspect that given sufficient effort,
> byte-count Lucene strings will win out over char-chount Lucene
> strings -- we'll know after I tinker with the merge process and
> submit a diff.  Again, I haven't been rushing -- I'm finishing up the
>
> Perl/C port of the org.apache.lucene.index package to familiarize
> myself with all the nooks and crannies first.
>
> If you go directly to 2.0, when will the next opportunity be to
> introduce a backwards-compatibility-killing index format change?

I think 2.1 or 2 is a fair game.

I believe 1.4.3 -> 1.9 indices are compatible.  Just scanned
CHANGES.txt for index incompatibility notes the other day and didn't
find any.

Otis

Re: compatibility of Lucene 1.9

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Nov 9, 2005, at 6:19 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> If not, then our next release version should just be 2.0 and skip
> 1.9, don't ya think?

FWIW... One reason I haven't been persistent or hurried about the
UTF-8-clean/speedup patches is because they aren't backwards
compatible, and thus should not be considered prior to a 1.9
release.  The other is that I suspect that given sufficient effort,
byte-count Lucene strings will win out over char-chount Lucene
strings -- we'll know after I tinker with the merge process and
submit a diff.  Again, I haven't been rushing -- I'm finishing up the
Perl/C port of the org.apache.lucene.index package to familiarize
myself with all the nooks and crannies first.

If you go directly to 2.0, when will the next opportunity be to
introduce a backwards-compatibility-killing index format change?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: compatibility of Lucene 1.9

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
I think the intention has been to be as backward compatible as
possible with 1.9, and that's why there should still be a 1.9 and 2.0
(removing all the deprecated stuff will break tons of things).  Patch
releases should strive to be a 100% drop in replacement, but that's
not a realistic requirement for major releases.  The simplest example
is adding a new method to a public interface... you need to do it
sometimes, but it breaks compatibility.

As far as 1.9 goes, most apps should be fine... but I don't think we
can advertise it as 100% just because changes were confined to expert
level stuff (and what constitutes expert level is kind of subjective
in any case).

-Yonik
Now hiring -- http://forms.cnet.com/slink?231706

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.