Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kevin O'Neill <ke...@rocketred.com.au> on 2002/07/23 00:09:46 UTC

PDF output driver

I'm new to fop, so please give me a little leeway :).

I've been looking at FOPs PDF library to help me with some direct PDF
generation tasks that are not presently suited to XSL:FO (I need
absolute positioning, layering and the ability to use XObject Forms).

FOP has about the nicest and low level PDF library I've come across, a
true undiscovered gem.

Enough of the glowing praise :).

I've noticed from the CVS logs that the separation of the PDF code is a
recent thing; are there current plans to extend it's usefulness beyond
that of mealy being an output renderer for FOP? Would you consider
adding contributed classes (like the aforementioned XObjectForm) that
there is no real XSL:FO imperative for? Separating the generation of the
PDF support into an additional build target for people like me who what
to use the PDF functionality without the additional XSL:FO components?

Regards,

-k.