Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2014/09/26 21:11:18 UTC

Name change

One of the parts of the incubation process is to check whether a project's
name can be trademarked. This is so that Apache can defend the project
against impostors.

Everyone expected this to be a formality, since the overwhelming number of
hits in Google is for our project, but it turns out that a company in the
same field -- query optimization -- has trademarked "OptIQ".

This is not a battle we can win, so we have to move on.

I've discussed with the PPMC, and everyone seems to like "Calcite".

(Calcite is a crystal form of calcium carbonate that has an interesting
property that it diffracts photons in different directions according to
their spin. It keeps with the "optics" theme, because the purpose of the
project is to find a path by which to view data.)

I'm going to the incubator PMC to find out next steps. I'd like the next
step to be to make a release, so that I can promote the project under its
new name, Apache Calcite, when I speak at Strata NY on 16th October.

Julian

Re: Name change

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
The PPMC has voted to rename Optiq to Calcite, and it sounds as if we have
consensus in the community as well.

Let's move forward.

I'll make a release candidate for apache-calcite-0.9.1-incubating in the
next day or two, which we will put to a vote in the usual way. If there are
any last patches, get them in soon!

I'll also log an Apache INFRA request to rename lists (including this
one!), repositories and servers.

Julian

Re: Name change