Posted to cvs@avalon.apache.org by do...@apache.org on 2002/11/15 05:10:44 UTC

cvs commit: jakarta-avalon/src/documentation/old/stylesheets/system directory2html.xsl error2html.xsl status2html.xsl

donaldp     2002/11/14 20:10:44

  Removed:     src/documentation/old cocoon.xconf sitemap.xmap
               src/documentation/old/stylesheets book2menu.xsl
                        docbook2body.xsl docbook2fo.xsl
                        document2docbook.xsl filterlinks.xsl site2xhtml.xsl
               src/documentation/old/stylesheets/system directory2html.xsl
                        error2html.xsl status2html.xsl
  Log:
  Removed unused stuff

Re: Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:35, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
> >>decided, given the past discussions about doc building?
> >
> > If there are objections then they will be raised as per lazy consensus.
> > See "Product Changes" in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html
>
> See Short and Long Term Plans.
> A commitment to a document generation system will affect all of us in
> the future, and IMHO should have been notified.

No such commitment has been made yet.

> > I would not expect there to be any objections as I was the only one who
> > objected last time.
>
> IIRC we had come to the conclusion (@see Berin's tentative of using
> both anakia and Cocoon for the same docs) that we would stick to a DTD
> and use that regardless the docs build system used.

You don't recall correctly.

> Actually, I'm in favor of the conversion to Forrest, just wanted a
> clarification, given the past discussions, of a commitment to a new doc
> build system that wasn't discussed.

When I go to merge it in I will see if anyone objects then.

Glad to see you have stepped up your behaviour already.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)

Re: Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
>>decided, given the past discussions about doc building?
>
> If there are objections then they will be raised as per lazy consensus. See
> "Product Changes" in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

See Short and Long Term Plans.
A commitment to a document generation system will affect all of us in
the future, and IMHO should have been notified.

> I would not expect there to be any objections as I was the only one who
> objected last time.

IIRC we had come to the conclusion (@see Berin's tentative of using
both anakia and Cocoon for the same docs) that we would stick to a DTD
and use that regardless the docs build system used.

Actually, I'm in favor of the conversion to Forrest, just wanted a
clarification, given the past discussions, of a commitment to a new doc
build system that wasn't discussed.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>  >   Removed unused stuff
>
> I'm surprised to see such important commits about the Avalon framework
> documentation be done without prior discussion or consent on the list.

How is removing unused stuff "important" ? This is just cleaning up stuff that
you should have done.

> Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
> decided, given the past discussions about doc building?

If there are objections then they will be raised as per lazy consensus. See
"Product Changes" in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

I would not expect there to be any objections as I was the only one who
objected last time.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Fools ignore complexity.  Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it.  Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982

Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

donaldp@apache.org wrote:
 > donaldp     2002/11/14 20:55:29
 >
 >   Modified:    .        build.xml
 >   Log:
 >   Remove war target for docs. WIllbe replaced by forrest.

Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
decided, given the past discussions about doc building?

Mind me, I'm happy of it being a Forrest committer, and I'm converting
the Phoenix docs, I but still have to discuss the actual commit of that
stuff on the list to see if there is aggreement.

Could you also please explain what the following means?

donaldp@apache.org wrote:
 > donaldp     2002/11/14 20:31:29
[...]
 >   Log:
 >   Migrate the diagram stuff to a new directory in prep for axing
documentation.

Thanks.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -