Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <je...@dundeemt.com> on 2009/02/21 04:13:24 UTC

How to dump/reload a database

I just tried using couchdb-dump to dump my database but I ended up with an
out of memory problem.  It looks like the script is trying to buffer the
entire db before it returns.
There are about 1700 documents w/ attachments and futon is showing ~6.1GB

Anyone have any suggestions?  It looks like .9 is going to require a
dump/load cycle -- what are other people doing?

Regards,

Jeff

Re: How to dump/reload a database

Posted by Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <je...@dundeemt.com>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <je...@dundeemt.com>wrote:

> I just tried using couchdb-dump to dump my database but I ended up with an
> out of memory problem.  It looks like the script is trying to buffer the
> entire db before it returns.
> There are about 1700 documents w/ attachments and futon is showing ~6.1GB
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?  It looks like .9 is going to require a
> dump/load cycle -- what are other people doing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff

Since googling let me empty, and I'm in a bit of a hurry -- I'm rewriting
couchdb-dump and load so that instead of trying to create one bigA mime
object in memory , I'm breaking it out document by document and stuffing it
in a zip file.  A side effect is that dumps are faster and the files are
smaller.  I've finished the dump portion and will start on the load in the
morning.  While I'm crawling through this does anyone have any requests for
features or ammendments to the current couchdb-dump and/or couchdb-load
scripts?

-Jeff