Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Bhaskar Varanasi <bh...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/27 22:15:30 UTC

Query regarding updating a user password

Dear User group,

I have a question regarding the derby database.

With a specific bootpassword I'm able to connect to the database.

But there is a user created in this database with a very weak password.

I'd like to connect to the database and alter the password through java
programme.

Can anyone of you provide me with a syntax for the alter user query?

Thanks,
Bhaskar

Re: Query regarding updating a user password

Posted by David Myers <da...@gmail.com>.
Bhaskar,

A quick flick through the docs finds the following page

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefnativemodifypasswordproc.html

There is even a JDBC example....

CallableStatement cs = conn.prepareCall
("CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_MODIFY_PASSWORD('shhhhh!')");
cs.execute();
cs.close();

You need to be logged on as the specified user to change the password.

Alternatively you may decide to use the reset password function, here
is the page link

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/ref/rrefnativeresetpasswordproc.html

Again there is a JDBC example, and you need to be the DB owner to run
the procedure.

Remeber to initiate a 'password strength' checker if you are concerned
about 'weak' password.
You may also want to check out (quote from the docs, linked in the
modify password page I posted above)

derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeMillis property sets the
password expiration time, and the
derby.authentication.native.passwordLifetimeThreshold property sets
the time when a user is warned that the password will expire.

David