Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Justin M. Hill" <Ju...@Prominic.NET> on 2016/09/07 04:42:11 UTC

FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release

Hi Alex and FlexJS community,

I have been following this thread:
Re: Will we have a new release out the door till 8th of September?

I wanted to provide a brief update:

We have been working hard on getting a new version of the Moonshine IDE
ready and released through the Apple App Store.  We ran into an incredible
series of delays and problems with restrictions placed upon the App Store
release, so we had to add a 'helper' application to (hopefully) get around
the problems Peter Ent reported months ago on recent Mac OS X releases
including El Capitan.

Now that we are done with it, we hope this approach will get approved by
Apple.  Even without the App Store release, we will post the direct
download version on the site in the next few days, and Santanu will make a
post here announcing it.

Given that 0.70 of FlexJS is nearing release, I would like to revive a
request I made in April for a roadmap of what is left before we can call it
1.0.

I think this is important to gather widespread attention.   It also needs
to be paired with an easy on-boarding experience for new users and a
functional set of demo applications and learning tools.  You may notice we
integrated Tour de Flex with the Moonshine IDE for this reason, and we also
intend to add in the FlexJS docs soon.

It would be really helpful to our cause if we can articulate the major
bullet points for why someone interested in cross platform development
should go with FlexJS / AIR vs. Xamarin.  I think it is important for us as
a community to clearly state the benefits beyond just not being a solution
backed by Microsoft and subject to their whims.

I have also asked Dhwani and Kinjal to make sure they contribute back the
Tabbed component to FlexJS that they recently got working.  And we have
built in a new feature to turn Balsamiq mockups into FlexJS applications
that we are working on polishing.

Finally, we really need help getting code completion put into Moonshine.
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who is skilled in building Abstract
Syntax Trees and parsing them in real time who could contribute this.

Thank you,

Justin Hill
My Apache Flex community contribution is working on the open source
Moonshine-IDE.com for FlexJS.

----- Message from "Justin M. Hill" <Ju...@Prominic.NET> on Fri, 1 Apr
2016 02:52:26 -0500 -----

      To: dev@flex.apache.org

 Subject: FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release with code bounties and
          conversion analyzer

Hi Alex,

Would it be possible to start making more extensive use of JIRA on FlexJS?

There appears to be a very basic list of issues outstanding for FlexJS 1.0
Release Candidate.  I'm sure there is a lot more on a roadmap somewhere...
and it would be nice to have it articulated in JIRA.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX/fixforversion/12324435/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:version-issues-panel

I reviewed your PowerPoint presentation draft for the FlexJS meeting on
Monday.

Slides 30 through and 36 detail "how much can you reuse" and has
information on scanning for "imports flash.*" and "embed".

I think we should write an analyzer to help estimate code conversion for
existing Flash / Flex Builder projects and add that to Moonshine IDE.  We
could then present an estimate of the amount of code that will "just work"
on a FlexJS build from the project.

If you can correlate the skill set necessary to tackle each of the major
issues, I think FlexJS is at a point where we could start to recruit
individuals or companies to assist with the remaining issues to reach 1.0
level so their Flex apps will be ported to JavaScript/HTML.

Surely there are enough corporations out there with an investment in Flex
application modernization needs that financially it would make sense to
sponsor a portion of the remaining development work on FlexJS 1.0 so that
their application port to no longer be dependent upon the Flash player will
be accelerated.

Re: FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

-Alex

From: "Walker L. Dalton" <Wa...@Prominic.NET>>
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM
To: Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>>
Cc: "Atin K. Gupta" <At...@Prominic.NET>>, Bing Li <Bi...@Prominic.NET>>, "dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org>" <de...@flex.apache.org>>, "Dhwani K. Shah" <Dh...@Prominic.NET>>, Efrain Salomon <Ef...@Prominic.NET>>, "Joel C. Anderson" <Jo...@Prominic.NET>>, "Kinjal J. Patel" <Ki...@Prominic.NET>>, Pan Li <Pa...@Prominic.NET>>, Santanu Karar <Sa...@Prominic.NET>>
Subject: Re: FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release

Hi Alex,

You mentioned that Falcon is already set-up to be a code completion engine for FlashBuilder. Ideally we would love to leverage it, using it for the Moonshine IDE. Do you have any information about how Falcon can be communicated with to extract that? Possibly an entry-point to the code-completion engine, or anything related to the code-completion that might be informing.

Thank you,

Walker Dalton
http://Prominic.NET | Skype: WalkerProminic
Tel: 866.339.5980 (toll free) or +1.217.356.2888 x 122

[Inactive hide details for Alex Harui ---09/07/2016 12:13:42 AM---Hi Justin, Just today I was thinking of finally getting around]Alex Harui ---09/07/2016 12:13:42 AM---Hi Justin, Just today I was thinking of finally getting around to trying Moonshine on

From: Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>>
To: "dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org>" <de...@flex.apache.org>>
Cc: Santanu Karar <Sa...@Prominic.NET>>, "Dhwani K. Shah" <Dh...@Prominic.NET>>, "Kinjal J. Patel" <Ki...@Prominic.NET>>, "Atin K. Gupta" <At...@Prominic.NET>>, Pan Li <Pa...@Prominic.NET>>, Bing Li <Bi...@Prominic.NET>>, "Walker L. Dalton" <Wa...@Prominic.NET>>, "Efrain Salomon" <Ef...@Prominic.NET>>, "Joel C. Anderson" <Jo...@Prominic.NET>>
Date: 09/07/2016 12:13 AM

________________________________

Hi Justin,

Just today I was thinking of finally getting around to trying Moonshine on
my Windows computer.  More below...

On 9/6/16, 9:42 PM, "Justin M. Hill" <Ju...@Prominic.NET>> wrote:

>Hi Alex and FlexJS community,
>
>Given that 0.70 of FlexJS is nearing release, I would like to revive a
>request I made in April for a roadmap of what is left before we can call
>it
>1.0.

For me, I would like at least one public testimonial that someone was able
to use FlexJS and put an app into production.  We have example apps, but I
want to know if FlexJS can do something a bit more complex.  Other folks
may have different opinions and I could easily change my mind if folks
want to call the release after 0.7.0 our 1.0 release.

>It would be really helpful to our cause if we can articulate the major
>bullet points for why someone interested in cross platform development
>should go with FlexJS / AIR vs. Xamarin.  I think it is important for us
>as
>a community to clearly state the benefits beyond just not being a solution
>backed by Microsoft and subject to their whims.

I haven't used Xamarin, plus I think as a member of Apache I'm not
supposed to do opinion-based competitive analysis.  It is fine to state
hard facts though, but in many ways your choice of tools is subjective.
Mostly, I think we need folks who have been successful to articulate the
advantages.

>Finally, we really need help getting code completion put into Moonshine.
>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who is skilled in building Abstract
>Syntax Trees and parsing them in real time who could contribute this.

Moonshine is an AIR app, correct?  Porting Falcon's AST code to
ActionScript would be a serious project.  I'm wondering if there is some
way to leverage Falcon, possibly as an ANE, or via some other
cross-process communication.  Falcon is already set up to be a
code-completion engine for Flash Builder.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Re: FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release

Posted by "Walker L. Dalton" <Wa...@Prominic.NET>.