Posted to user@storm.apache.org by 이승진 <sw...@navercorp.com> on 2016/03/28 07:08:12 UTC

Running cron jobs in a topology main?

Hello all,

If I were to run some cron jobs inside of topology, is it proper to declare them in the topology main method?

Previously for that purpose I made custom spout inside of which runs a cron scheduler, set the parallelism of it to 1, and it's just working fine.

If that cron declaration part is in topology main, I think topology submitting process never ends and remain in the nimbus server without being managed.

Do you have any opinion on this topic? I'm using 0.9.x version of storm by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Running cron jobs in a topology main?

Posted by Alexander T <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

When you start Quartz it launches non-daemon backround threads which
prevents the JVM from exiting cleanly. Delay starting Quartz until your
spout is activated and stop it again in deactivate and you will be fine.
Otherwise you can set the "daemon" flags in Quartz to stop it from blocking
JVM exit.

We ditched Quartz and used Springs CronSequenceGenarator instead. This fits
better with Storms polling architecture and doesn't requiring starting any
threads at all.

Best regards
Alexander