Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com> on 2004/09/20 05:18:23 UTC

indexes won't close on windows

Hi,

I have built a nice lucene application on linux with no problems,
but when I ported to windows for the customer, I started experiencing
problems with the index not closing. This prevents re-indexing.

I'm using lucene 1.4.1 under tomcat 5.0.28.

My search operation is very simple and works great:

create reader
create searcher
do search
extract N docs from hits
close searcher
close reader

However, on several occasions, when trying to re-index, I get
"can't delete file" errors from the indexer. I discovered that restarting
tomcat clears the problem. (Note that I'm recreating the index
completely, not updating.)

I've spent the last couple of hours trolling the archives and I've
found numerous references to windows problems with open files.

Is there a fix for this? How can I force the files to close? What's
the best work-around?

Many thanks,

Fred

Re: indexes won't close on windows

Posted by Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com>.
Hi Otis,

I understand about reusing readers and searchers, but I was
working on the "do the simplest thing that can possibly work" theory
for starters, in part because I wanted to be sure that I could recreate
the index safely as needed.

I should emphasize that I developed for weeks on linux without ever
seeing this problem, but in less than 24 hours after installing on the
customer's windows box, I hit the error.

So is a close() not really a close()? Is Lucene actually hanging on to
open files? Or is this a JVM on windows bug? (I'm using the latest 1.4.2
from Sun.)

As I mentioned, this has turned up off and on in the mail archives. Is
there no well-understood fix or work-around? I'll get a stack trace
set up for the next time it happens.

Thanks,

Fred

Re[2]: indexes won't close on windows

Posted by Maxim Patramanskij <ma...@osua.de>.
Hello Fred,

When you recreate an index from the scratch (with the last
IndexWriter constructor's argument "true"), all IndexReaders must be
closed, cause IndexWriter tries to delete all files entire directory,
where you index being created.

If you have any opened IndexReader within this time, then Windows
locks some of the files, used by IndexReader, preventing them from being
changed by other process.  Thus IndexWriter's constructor is unable
to delete these files and throws IOException.

Max

Posted by sergiu gordea <gs...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>.
Fred Toth wrote:

> Hi Sergiu,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. I will try using just the
> IndexSearcher(String...)
> and see if that makes a difference in the problem. I can confirm that
> I am doing a proper close() and that I'm checking for exceptions. Again,
> the problem is not with the search function, but with the command-line
> indexer. It is not run at startup, but on demand when the index needs
> to be recreated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

 I remenber it was one case where the searcher was used in the way you
use but without keeping the
named reference to the index reader. This is not your case.

why do you get It is here that I get a failure, "can't delete _b9.cfs"?
are you trying to delete the index folder sometimes or ... why?

maybe one object is still using the index  when you try to delete it.

do you write your errors in log files?

 It will be very helpful to have a StackTrace.

 All the best,

 Sergiu

Posted by Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com>.
Hi Sergiu,