Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/18 23:22:34 UTC

Converting a DUnit test from JUnit 3 to JUnit 4

 Converting a DUnit test from JUnit 3 to JUnit 4:

1) extend *JUnit4DistributedTestCase* or *JUnit4CacheTestCase*
2) remove constructor(String name)
3) *import static com.gemstone.gemfire.test.dunit.Assert.*;*
4) annotate test class directly with *@Category(DistributedTest.class)*
5) annotate all test methods with *@Test* (even the disabled ones!)
6) annotate disabled test methods with *@Ignore(“include bug # and/or
comment”)*
7) remove *import junit.framework.AssertionFailedError*
8) replace any custom usage of *AssertionFailedError* with *AssertionError*

After committing GEODE-1050 to develop, you can now convert any DUnit test
from JUnit 3 to JUnit 4 by following the above steps.

I’ve already converted the following as examples:

geode-core/src/test/java/com/gemstone/gemfire/cache30/CacheCloseDUnitTest.java
geode-core/src/test/java/com/gemstone/gemfire/cache30/CachedAllEventsDUnitTest.java
geode-core/src/test/java/com/gemstone/gemfire/distributed/DistributedMemberDUnitTest.java
geode-core/src/test/java/com/gemstone/gemfire/distributed/DistributedSystemDUnitTest.java

The JUnit3 and JUnit4 implementation classes are currently under
com.gemstone.gemfire.test.dunit.internal.*. Now that I everything merged to
develop I’ll probably follow up with a bit more refactoring but I'd like to
hear feedback from others first.

-Kirk