Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com> on 2019/11/01 19:15:41 UTC

Attaching JavaFX Javadoc and Sources

Ever since NetBeans 9, I've had problems trying to get the IDE to
recognize the JavaFX Javadoc and Sources. I identified eleven different
errors, summarized in the issue report below. I tested with the JavaFX
SDK, but the errors may happen with other libraries as well.

NETBEANS-3296: Attaching JavaFX Javadoc and Sources
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3296

The errors occur while trying to perform two fundamental IDE tasks:
navigating to a library's sources and opening its documentation.

Thomas Zimmermann is working on a fix for two of the related issues with
Maven projects. I'm new to the NetBeans source, but I should be able to
make progress in the easier sub-tasks, such as NETBEANS-3297.

Is someone familiar enough with the nb-javac plug-in to look into the
following sub-tasks?

NETBEANS-3300: nb-javac 2.0 fails to parse JavaFX Sources
NETBEANS-3301: Modular Ant project fails to run without nb-javac

There are also two sub-tasks related to Gradle projects:

NETBEANS-3302: Non-modular Gradle project fails to recognize Javadoc
NETBEANS-3303: Modular Gradle project fails to recognize Javadoc and Sources

I would appreciate your comments regarding the errors and your
suggestions for ways to work around them.

Thank you,
John

Re: Attaching JavaFX Javadoc and Sources

Posted by Thomas Zimmermann <zi...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

answers inline:

 > Sure, I'll give it a try. I should first remove the following extra >
 > copies of the Javadoc and Sources in my local Maven cache, right?>
 >
 > javafx-base/13/javafx-base-13-linux-javadoc.jar>
 > javafx-base/13/javafx-base-13-linux-sources.jar>
 > javafx-controls/13/javafx-controls-13-linux-javadoc.jar>
 > javafx-controls/13/javafx-controls-13-linux-sources.jar>
 > javafx-fxml/13/javafx-fxml-13-linux-javadoc.jar>
 > javafx-fxml/13/javafx-fxml-13-linux-sources.jar>
 > javafx-graphics/13/javafx-graphics-13-linux-javadoc.jar>
 > javafx-graphics/13/javafx-graphics-13-linux-sources.jar>

It should work either way. NetBeans will now first consider
javafx-graphics-13-linux-javadoc.jar and if that's not there, fall back
to javafx-graphics-13-javadoc.jar.
But to test how it will be used in the wild, better get rid of them and
start fresh, yeah.

 > How can I edit that page? I would like to add the same one-line
warning >
 > that's on the main Web site. See NETBEANS-3209, "Add JAVA_HOME and >
 > ANT_HOME note," below:>
 >
 > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3209>
 >
 > I signed up for Confluence, and the page has no restrictions
("Everyone >
 > can view and edit this page"), but I can't find an Edit button or link.>

I don't know. Maybe Geertjan can help?

 > John>

Thomas

Re: Attaching JavaFX Javadoc and Sources

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I guess it is 'jgneff'.

You now have permissions needed for editing the NetBeans Wiki.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.

Posted by John Neffenger <jo...@status6.com>.
On 11/3/19 1:58 AM, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
> until the maintainers find the time, would you mind testing what
> problems remain after merging my PR?

I posted my test results as a comment on the pull request:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1548#issuecomment-551237510

It's a *huge* improvement. In fact, some things that work now I didn't
even know were supposed to work -- that's how broken they were. So thank
you very much for all the progress.

Adding the Javadoc works great, but there are some regressions when you
then add the Sources in addition to the Javadoc. Also, there are some
things that work with only the Sources in an Ant project that don't work
in a Maven project. The details are in my comment.

Thank you again, Thomas.

Posted by Thomas Zimmermann <zi...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

until the maintainers find the time, would you mind testing what
problems remain after merging my PR? The PR is only specific to Maven in
that it refines the logic to find the correct javadoc and source jars in
the Maven repository. The other improvements (javadoc 9+ support,
understanding the layout of JavaFX javadoc jars) should apply to all
manually attached javadoc jars as well.

Building NetBeans is surprisingly simple, the docs are here [0]. For
building the PR, here is a summary (untested, please let me know if it
doesn't work):

1. Download and unzip OpenJDK 8 [1]
2. Run the following in a terminal:

$ git clone --branch NETBEANS-1396 https://github.com/zimmi/netbeans.git
$ cd netbeans
$ export JAVA_HOME=/your/path/to/jdk8
$ ant
$ ant tryme

That should build (and start) a working NetBeans distribution inside
nbbuild/netbeans. Please let me know if you run into any issues!

I'm also not a maintainer by the way, the above is my first PR to NetBeans.

[0]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Development+Environment
[1] https://adoptopenjdk.net/?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot

Best regards,