Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ken Causey <ke...@ineffable.com> on 2002/09/17 17:27:17 UTC

[users@httpd] RE: RE: User cgi-bin doesn't work with 1.3.26, I'm stumped.

Boyle Owen wrote:

> Since you have exhaustively demonstrated that there is no differences in
> the programs between the system and user CGI dirs, the difference must be
> in the way the server is handling the files. As we have noted, the system
> CGIs run via ScriptAlias, while the user CGIs run via AddHandler. So try
> the other points in the matrix;
>
> - remove the ScriptAlias so the system CGi runs via AddHandler. Does it
> work? - create ScriptAlias directives for one of the user CGIs. Does it
> work?

OK.  To simplify things I put up another server on port 8000.  This time
it's a plain apache (before it was from apache-ssl package) and I've
trimmed the httpd.conf down to what I believe is close to minimal (well,
maybe not quite).  You can see it at

http://temp.premiernet.net:8000/httpd.conf

By changing one single character I can make the scripts either work or not
work:

With ScriptAlias /ken/cgi-bin/ /home/ken/public_html/cgi-bin/

http://temp.premiernet.net:8000/ken/cgi-bin/bash.cgi  WORKS

With ScriptAlias /~ken/cgi-bin/ /home/ken/public_html/cgi-bin/

http://temp.premiernet.net:8000/~ken/cgi-bin/bash.cgi  DOESN'T WORK.

Now I may be making a mistake here.  If so please point it out, but it
seems to me that both of these should work.

As mentioned before I'm currently on #apache on freenode with a nick of
kencausey.

Ken

Re: [users@httpd] RE: RE: User cgi-bin doesn't work with 1.3.26, I'm stumped.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Ken Causey wrote:

> With ScriptAlias /ken/cgi-bin/ /home/ken/public_html/cgi-bin/
>
> http://temp.premiernet.net:8000/ken/cgi-bin/bash.cgi  WORKS
>
> With ScriptAlias /~ken/cgi-bin/ /home/ken/public_html/cgi-bin/
>
> http://temp.premiernet.net:8000/~ken/cgi-bin/bash.cgi  DOESN'T WORK.
>
> Now I may be making a mistake here.  If so please point it out, but it
> seems to me that both of these should work.

As I said, it is very likely an suexec problem.

Joshua.