Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Jim Gomes <jg...@apache.org> on 2015/04/09 18:35:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] Fix Sorting of Board Reports

I recently went out to look at previous Board Reports (
http://activemq.apache.org/apache-activemq-board-reports.html) and found
the current sorting method difficult to deal with. Unless we are required
to use the page naming format, I would like to change it to the following
format:

Apache ActiveMQ Board Report - 2009.01 January
Apache ActiveMQ Board Report - 2009.04 April
Apache ActiveMQ Board Report - 2009.07 July
.
.
.

I would then set it to sort in reverse order so the most recent report is
automatically at the top, and they descend in chronological order. The
current sorting puts the most recent board report (2015/02) in the middle
of the pack, making it difficult to find. Good luck trying to find the
report directly prior to that.

I will make the changes, unless anyone has other suggestions.

Best,
Jim

Re: [DISCUSS] Fix Sorting of Board Reports

Posted by Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It looks like there's no technical
reason for the current naming scheme. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't
breaking some kind of formatting requirement from the Board.

I'll get them fixed up shortly.

Best,
Jim

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
renaming makes sense to me.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Your proposal sounds good to me.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Tim. That is a clear and compelling reason to keep them there.
>
> With that clarified, does anyone have any comments on the renaming of the
> pages to improve the indexing?
>
> Best,
> Jim
>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/09/2015 02:13 PM, Jim Gomes wrote:
>> > Thanks for the explanation. That helps.
>> >
>> > So, I guess we could discuss the merits of keeping the Board Reports on
>> our
>> > wiki, as it does seem somewhat redundant. As long as they exist on the
>> > wiki, it would be helpful to have a better indexing system.
>> >
>> > Perhaps Hiram can offer background as to the purpose and intent of the
>> > Board Reports being published on the wiki?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Jim

>> any

>> showing
>> chair
>> thing
>> in
>> matter

>> report
>> The
>> the

>> I believe that he does this as a place to create and edit them and allow
>> for other members to contribute if they so desire before he submits
>> them.  I've edited a couple in the past prior to submission to add CMS
>> or NMS release notes.
>>
>> --
>> Tim Bish
>> Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
>> tim.bish@redhat.com | www.redhat.com
>> twitter: @tabish121
>> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Fix Sorting of Board Reports

Posted by Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>>> the current sorting method difficult to deal with. Unless we are required
>>> to use the page naming format, I would like to change it to the following
>>> format:
>>>
>>> Apache ActiveMQ Board Report - 2009.01 January
>>> Apache ActiveMQ Board Report - 2009.04 April
>>> Apache ActiveMQ Board Report - 2009.07 July
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>>
>>> I would then set it to sort in reverse order so the most recent report is
>>> automatically at the top, and they descend in chronological order. The
>>> current sorting puts the most recent board report (2015/02) in the middle
>>> of the pack, making it difficult to find. Good luck trying to find the
>>> report directly prior to that.
>>>
>>> I will make the changes, unless anyone has other suggestions.

Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Fix Sorting of Board Reports

Posted by Jim Gomes <jg...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the link, Dan. I didn't know those were there. I think the main
difference here is that link is to the Board Minutes, whereas the ActiveMQ
wiki has the Board Report. They seem to be identical, but will they always
be? And even if they are identical, do we still need to have the redundancy

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp