Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by S Balaji <ij...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/23 19:16:08 UTC

Axis C/C++ client : basic questions

Hi All,

I work for a commercial software company. Our product is a business software that is developed in C++ and runs on various platforms : Solaris, Linux, WIndows-32-bit, AIX, HP-UX-Itanium. The C++ compiler we use is vendor supplied, not g++. For example in Windows, we use VC++, on AIX, we use xlC. Our customer has exposed some web services (WSDL) that we need to make calls to. So I basically need a portable C++ Soap client solution for all these platforms.

I am open to C as well as C++ solutions for the web services calls. I guess Axis2 is more mature than Axis ? The WSDL the customer has given is non-trivial with complex types and arrays of complex types. Given that I need a solution that works on many platforms as mentioned above, and also I want latest jira-fixes that have been made, which one would you recommend ? Axis cpp or Axis2/C ?

I tried playing with axis-c-1.6b-Win32-trace-bin binaries on windows and got hello world/calculator examples to work, but had some problems with using my customer's WSDLs. I posted the problems on this forum earlier. It was suggested to me to pick up latest source and build it. Here are the links for C++ I found, but they appear old : http://ws.apache.org/axis/cpp/download.html -  Can someone please point me to the latest ? Thanks a lot.

For Axis2/C : I guess this link is the correct one to pick up from ? http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/download.cgi

Am I right in saying that Axis CPP or Axis2/C has not been ported to HP-UX yet ?

I would really appreciate your replies.

Thanks a lot.

- B

Re: Axis C/C++ client : basic questions

Posted by Uthaiyashankar <sh...@wso2.com>.
Hi Balaji,

See my comments..

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM, S Balaji <ij...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I work for a commercial software company. Our product is a business
> software that is developed in C++ and runs on various platforms : Solaris,
> Linux, WIndows-32-bit, AIX, HP-UX-Itanium. The C++ compiler we use is vendor
> supplied, not g++. For example in Windows, we use VC++, on AIX, we use xlC.
> Our customer has exposed some web services (WSDL) that we need to make calls
> to. So I basically need a portable C++ Soap client solution for all these
> platforms.
>
> I am open to C as well as C++ solutions for the web services calls. I guess
> Axis2 is more mature than Axis ? The WSDL the customer has given is
> non-trivial with complex types and arrays of complex types.

Axis2/C has a wide coverage of WSDL schema types. I am not sure whether your
case is covered or not. You can post the WSDL so that we can see whether it
is supported or not.

> Given that I need a solution that works on many platforms as mentioned
> above, and also I want latest jira-fixes that have been made, which one
> would you recommend ? Axis cpp or Axis2/C ?
>
> I tried playing with axis-c-1.6b-Win32-trace-bin binaries on windows and
> got hello world/calculator examples to work, but had some problems with
> using my customer's WSDLs. I posted the problems on this forum earlier. It
> was suggested to me to pick up latest source and build it. Here are the
> links for C++ I found, but they appear old :
> http://ws.apache.org/axis/cpp/download.html -  Can someone please point me
> to the latest ? Thanks a lot.
>
> For Axis2/C : I guess this link is the correct one to pick up from ?
> http://ws.apache.org/axis2/c/download.cgi

Yes, it is correct.

> Am I right in saying that Axis CPP or Axis2/C has not been ported to HP-UX
> yet ?

There were some effort to port Axis2/C to HP-UX. You can see the details in
[1]. Hope you would also contribute, so that we can make port it to HP-UX.

You can have a look at WSF/CPP [2] as well. It is a C++ based web service
engine wrapping Axis2/C.

Regards,
Shankar

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2C-924
[2] http://wso2.org/projects/wsf/cpp

--
S.Uthaiyashankar
Software Architect

Re: Axis C/C++ client : basic questions

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.
Axis CPP is the more mature than axis2c....

The client end of Axis CPP is very robust and is used in production.  I
really do not use the server-side of things although they share 90% of the
same code so I assume it is stable.

Axis2C is the successor to Axis CPP and supports much more of the WS-*
standards.

If you want to use Axis CPP, you should down the code directly from SVN
and build it yourself using ant or VC.  The current binaries that are out
there are very very old and full of defects.  Hopefully updated binaries
will be downloadable in the near future.

Nadir Amra