Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Duane Homick <dh...@SANDVINE.com> on 2005/11/04 20:13:49 UTC

Dependencies and Maven 2

Just want to thank everyone who has been answering my questions over the last couple days.  Your help is much appreciated!

Couple quick questions:
1.  Is there a way to have maven build a subproject (and only that subproject) without having to change directories into that subprojects directory.

For example:
MasterProject
	Module1
	Module2
	Module3

C:\MasterProject\mvn compile Module1

2.  Is there a way to have maven build a dependent package if no build currently exists in the local or remote repository (rather than failing).  This way, I could do something like in the above where I say mvn install Module3, but Module3 has a dependency on Module1 and Module1 has not been built locally or otherwise, so trying to build would kick off a build for Module1 first and then build Module3?

Thanks as always
Duane Homick

Re: Dependencies and Maven 2

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/5/05, Duane Homick <dh...@sandvine.com> wrote:
> Just want to thank everyone who has been answering my questions over the last couple days.  Your help is much appreciated!
>
> Couple quick questions:
> 1.  Is there a way to have maven build a subproject (and only that subproject) without having to change directories into that subprojects directory.
>
> For example:
> MasterProject
>         Module1
>         Module2
>         Module3
>
> C:\MasterProject\mvn compile Module1

only by doing:

mvn -f Module1/pom.xml compile

> 2.  Is there a way to have maven build a dependent package if no build currently exists in the local or remote repository (rather than failing).  This way, I could do something like in the above where I say mvn install Module3, but Module3 has a dependency on Module1 and Module1 has not been built locally or otherwise, so trying to build would kick off a build for Module1 first and then build Module3?

This is currently on the Maven 2.2 roadmap (ie, roughly Q3 2006). Of
course, if you're willing to implement the feature and contribute it
back we'd accept it much sooner!

You can watch and comment on the issue in JIRA.

Cheers,
Brett