Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Paul Tomlin <pa...@bulksms.com> on 2009/12/04 09:38:42 UTC

Implemention of SUBTOTAL

Hi,
I've worked up a simple implementation of the SUBTOTAL function which
seems to work for my current tests though I'm sure it will fail in
cases I've not looked at yet.

Since I've not worked with POI much I'd like to get some feedback and
possibly mentoring to build this into something suitable for committing.

Should I simply create a PATCH bug or would the list/off-list be a
better place to discuss this?

Regards,

Paul Tomlin

Re: Implemention of SUBTOTAL

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paul,

> I've worked up a simple implementation of the SUBTOTAL function which seems
> to work for my current tests though I'm sure it will fail in cases I've not
> looked at yet.

If your SUBTOTAL implementation works OK for *your* needs, then there
is a high chance it will be useful to anyone else who may stumble
across it while evaluating spreadsheets.  Don't worry that your
implementation doesn't cover every special case - many of the existing
function implementations are incomplete too.  As POI users come across
new scenarios not covered yet, the existing code gets augmented.  One
of the most important things is that the test cases you provide
properly represent your usage of this function.  With these in place,
there is less chance that future work might break something you are
relying on.

> Since I've not worked with POI much I'd like to get some feedback and
> possibly mentoring to build this into something suitable for committing.
>
> Should I simply create a PATCH bug or would the list/off-list be a better
> place to discuss this?

Patches for bug fixes or enhancements are always welcome.  Go ahead
and create a bugzilla entry for this work.  Once you've uploaded your
patch file we can discuss any potential adjustments before committing.

Regards,
josh