Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Gabriel Balan <ga...@oracle.com> on 2020/11/06 10:55:47 UTC

what does MM stand for

Hello

Apologies for the silly question.

What you say "MM tables", what does MM stand for?

> HIVE_MM_ALLOW_ORIGINALS("hive.mm.allow.originals", false,
>         "Whether to allow original files in MM tables. Conversion to MM may be expensive if\n" +
>         "this is set to false, however unless MAPREDUCE-7086 fix is present (hadoop 3.1.1+),\n" +
>         "queries that read non-orc *MM tables* with original files will fail. The default in\n" +
>         "Hive 3.0 is false."),

thank you

Gabriel Balan

P.S. And since I'm already showing my ignorance, I've also seen these mentioned:

  * DP tables <https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12833236/HIVE-14643.patch> (dynamic partitions?)
  * SMB table <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-20620> (sort merge bucket?)

--
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Re: what does MM stand for

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
MM -> Micro Managed

Hive managed tables supporting Insert-only operations with ACID semantics
are called MM (Micro-Managed) OR Insert-Only ACID tables. Supports all file
formats.

From say

https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/DLM1/DLM-1.5.1/administration/content/dlm_acid_tables_replication.html

HTH