Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <je...@ncgr.org> on 2000/05/31 02:26:24 UTC

Is xerces perl dead or merely comatose

Hey All,

I haven't heard anything about what's going on for a month. This is
unreasonable. I would rather not so this project die, so what can I do
to help keep it alive?

jas.

Re: Is xerces perl dead or merely comatose

Posted by Mike Pogue <mp...@apache.org>.
Tom Watson was supposed to get all the code into the repository,
after making it clean.  Did that happen?

Mike

Re: Hoisted by my own petard

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <je...@ncgr.org>.

Parand>   I saved these files to the Xerces-0.02 directory, and tried
Parand> running perl Makefile.PL . From the out it looks it's still
Parand> trying to run swig, although I wasn't able to find out why.
Parand> Perhaps it's a rule built into make?

No chance. Make knows nothing about SWIG. I would open the Makefile.PL
that you saved. Odds are the new one got saved in the wrong place.

What I will do soon is to bring out version 0.03. That should help
everyone.

jas.

Re: Hoisted by my own petard

Posted by "Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com>.
Dear Jason,

  I saved these files to the Xerces-0.02 directory, and tried
running perl Makefile.PL . From the out it looks it's still
trying to run swig, although I wasn't able to find out why.
Perhaps it's a rule built into make?

perl Makefile.PL
Configuring for Linux
Warning: Guessing NAME [Xerces] from current directory name.
Running SWIG
Unable to check-out 'Xerces.i'. File does not exist in SWIG library.
Unable to open Xerces.i
Can't exec "postSource.pl": No such file or directory at (eval 17) line 85.
patch: **** can't open patch file `Xerces_wrap.patch' : No such file or directory
Can't exec "postModule.pl": No such file or directory at (eval 17) line 96.
Configuring for Linux

Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
         your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'

Writing Makefile for Xerces

Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
         your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'

Writing Makefile for Xerces

  Then I thought maybe I can ignore the warnings and just make
the package:
make
mkdir blib
mkdir blib/lib
mkdir blib/arch
mkdir blib/arch/auto
mkdir blib/arch/auto/Xerces
mkdir blib/lib/auto
mkdir blib/lib/auto/Xerces
mkdir blib/man3
make: *** No rule to make target `.pm', needed by `pm_to_blib'.  Stop.

Best,

Parand Tony Darugar			tdarugar@velocigen.com
858-622-1164				High Performance Perl Server Pages
858-622-0303 fax			VelociGen XML Server
http://www.velocigen.com/		Confidential

Hoisted by my own petard

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <je...@ncgr.org>.

Parand>   I feel the same way. I was hoping to get a version to compile
Parand> on linux, but had no luck doing so. You were going to post a
Parand> few new files:

Here are the files that I so long ago promised:
Xerces.pm
Xerces_wrap.cpp

These are the files post-SWIG processing. I'm including a new
Makefile.PL that doesn't run SWIG at all.

I'm assuming that these files will work for others, but I don't know
what modifications might be required. Let me know...

Posted by "Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com>.
Dear Jason,

> I haven't heard anything about what's going on for a month. This is
> unreasonable. I would rather not so this project die, so what can I do
> to help keep it alive?

  I feel the same way. I was hoping to get a version to compile
on linux, but had no luck doing so. You were going to post a
few new files:

---Jason wrote: ---------------------
Couple of suggestions follow:

2) I will supply a post-swigged set of files: Xerces.pm and
   Xerces_wrap.cpp, and a simplified Makefile.PL that doesn't need
   patching and such the like.
--------------------------------------

  If you post these I'll test them. In fact, you could put together
a new package if you so desire, with the post-swig files already
in place...

Posted by "Harmon S. Nine" <hn...@ns1.netarx.com>.
I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Perhaps we should make a "to do" list, because I'm not sure what needs to
be done ... ?

-- Harmon

On 30 May 2000, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I haven't heard anything about what's going on for a month. This is
> unreasonable. I would rather not so this project die, so what can I do
> to help keep it alive?
>
> jas.

Dr. Harmon S. Nine
Netarx, Inc.