Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by mark <ma...@markvliegenthart.com> on 2003/06/03 22:34:31 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd works, no errors but can not get html page in browser

Hi,

I have just installed httpd-2.0.45 with no options in ./configure

Only a few changes made in the default httpd.conf:
User wwwrun
Group nogroup
ServerName 192.168.1.193:80

I use Linux, SuSE 6.2 (original) but upgraded the kernel to 2.4.20.

Output error_log: after starting httpd:
[Tue Jun 03 22:26:15 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.45 (Unix) configured --
resuming normal operations

Output access_log
127.0.0.1 - - [03/Jun/2003:22:09:09 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 1968
192.168.1.193 - - [03/Jun/2003:22:09:32 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 1968

but i don't get any thing on either my browser on 192.168.1.193 or even on
the server using lynx:
Looking up localhost first.
Looking up localhost.
Making HTTP connection to localhost.
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `http://localhost/'
Alert!: Unable to access document.

lynx: Can't access startfile
(same if i use the 192.1.168.193 instead of localhost)

Has anyone got an idea what this can be? I'm boggled....

Thanks & Cheers
Mark

Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost _default_:* not working?

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@forrie.com>.
Follow-up to my own posting.  I noted that I can go to:

http://our.hostedsite.com/

and get the default page that points to my own site (as mentioned)

OR

http://our.hostedsite.com/anything.html

and get the proper 404 page specified for
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/default/index.php.

So I guess I'm not understanding how to catch that invalid (no longer
hosted) URL.   I want to avoid having to keep stale VirtualHost entries
just to satisfy the requirement if possible.

Forrest

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I'm trying to set a catch-all page that will be displayed, should something
> be pointed to my server (which hosts a few pages) for which it has no
> content.  For example, there might be a valid dns record that points here,
> but the page isn't hosted any longer, thus I want a 404 to come up (and
> will add more detail later, once I get this working).
>
> So, in the Apache Server Unleashed book, it explains the use of the
> _default_:* directive.  I set this to:

> All of the VirtualHost entries I have are via NameVirtualHost, ie: they
> have the same IP, but different ServerName entries.

The _default_ virtual host catches requests only for hosts that have no
matching IP address.  If you want a default name-based virtual host (one
that catches unrecognized hostnames) then simply create a new
<VirtualHost> block with the same IP as your NameVirtualHost directive,
give it a random ServerName, and list it first in your config file.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] VirtualHost _default_:* not working?