Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Larry Meadors <La...@plumcreek.com> on 2004/01/14 14:36:01 UTC

Why the different parameter counts?

I am looking at the MessageResources class, and the MessageTag class,
and wondering if there is a reason for them accepting different numbers
of optional parameters - the MessageTag allows five, but getMessage() in
MessageResources only allows four.

Other than some confusion, it is not a big deal, but it seems odd to me
that they are different. Am I missing something? Is there a reason for
not adding the five parameter version to the MessageResources method?

Larry

Re: Why the different parameter counts?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:49:48 -0800 (PST), David Graham wrote:

> --- Larry Meadors <La...@plumcreek.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking at the MessageResources class, and the MessageTag
>> class, and wondering if there is a reason for them accepting
>> different numbers of optional parameters - the MessageTag allows
>> five, but getMessage() in MessageResources only allows four.
>>
>> Other than some confusion, it is not a big deal, but it seems odd
>> to me that they are different. Am I missing something? Is there a
>> reason for not adding the five parameter version to the
>> MessageResources method?
>>

> IMO, there should be 3 versions of the method: accepting no
> replacement args, accepting one replacement arg, accepting an array
> of replacement args.  The 4 or 5 arg methods seem arbitrary.

+1

Changing it to an array come up before. We just never went through with the change.

-Ted.

Re: Why the different parameter counts?

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Larry Meadors <La...@plumcreek.com> wrote:
> I am looking at the MessageResources class, and the MessageTag class,
> and wondering if there is a reason for them accepting different numbers
> of optional parameters - the MessageTag allows five, but getMessage() in
> MessageResources only allows four.
>
> Other than some confusion, it is not a big deal, but it seems odd to me
> that they are different. Am I missing something? Is there a reason for
> not adding the five parameter version to the MessageResources method?

IMO, there should be 3 versions of the method: accepting no replacement
args, accepting one replacement arg, accepting an array of replacement
args.  The 4 or 5 arg methods seem arbitrary.

David