Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ian J Maude <ia...@gb7mbc.net> on 2004/11/22 12:14:54 UTC

[users@httpd] SymLinks

Hi all,
My first posting here.  I hope this isn't a FAQ but I have trawled the
FAQ and found nothing that matches my problem exactly.

I have Apache 2.0.52 running.  This came stock with Fedora Core 3 and my
web pages are running great, including the ones run with .htaccess.  My
problem is with symbolic links in my /var/www/html directory.  I cannot
get access and always get the error..

FORBIDDEN

You don't have permission to access /usermanual_en.html on this server

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have FollowSymLinks set (it was there at default) in httpd.conf and
the symlink worked perfectly well before I installed FC3.  Permissions
on the symlink look like this..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root         31 Nov 17 13:56 usermanual_en.html -
> /spider/html/usermanual_en.html

and the actual file is readable..

-rwxrwxr-x  1 sysop spider  18353 Jun 26 00:17 usermanual_en.html

I suspect it is something very simple but it is doing my head in!

Thanks

Ian

--
Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian@gb7mbc.net
Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster

Find out about Summits on the Air!
Visit the SOTA web site at http://www.sota.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] SymLinks

Posted by Eimantas Vaičiūnas <ei...@sc.vu.lt>.
On Monday 22 November 2004 13:14, Ian J Maude wrote:
> Hi all,
> My first posting here.  I hope this isn't a FAQ but I have trawled the
> FAQ and found nothing that matches my problem exactly.
>
> I have Apache 2.0.52 running.  This came stock with Fedora Core 3 and my
> web pages are running great, including the ones run with .htaccess.  My
> problem is with symbolic links in my /var/www/html directory.  I cannot
> get access and always get the error..
>
> FORBIDDEN
>
> You don't have permission to access /usermanual_en.html on this server
>
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
> an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
> I have FollowSymLinks set (it was there at default) in httpd.conf and
> the symlink worked perfectly well before I installed FC3.  Permissions
> on the symlink look like this..
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root         31 Nov 17 13:56 usermanual_en.html -
>
> > /spider/html/usermanual_en.html
>
> and the actual file is readable..
>
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 sysop spider  18353 Jun 26 00:17 usermanual_en.html
>
> I suspect it is something very simple but it is doing my head in!
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian
Something is wrong with permissions (maybe wrong directory owner?)
--
Eimantas Vaičiūnas
VU Skaičiavimo centras

Re: [users@httpd] SymLinks

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
only an idea, haven't uses symlinks myself:
set a <Directory> block for the directory including the target of the link.
grant "allow from all" for this dir.
you can also try "su www" and then try to open the link to see if
unixpermissions are ok.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:28:27 +0000, Ian J Maude <ia...@gb7mbc.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 12:38 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Ian J Maude wrote:
> >
> > > I suspect it is something very simple but it is doing my head in!
> >
> > Looking in the error log is something very simple, yesno?
> >
> It is indeed Nick and I have looked there.  Below is an extract.  It
> states symbolic links are not required but I also include a section from
> httpd.conf that hopefully shows that I have allowed their usage.  I
> would have included these in the earlier mail but I thought it might get
> a little long and was hoping that others had come across the same thing.

You have another Options directive someplace in your config
(httpd.conf, Include'd files, or .htaccess) that is turning off
symlinks (by not listing FollowSymLinks).  Grep through your config
files.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] SymLinks

Posted by Ian J Maude <ia...@gb7mbc.net>.