Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2015/11/17 07:16:14 UTC

where do I get the Kafka classes

I'm somewhat new to java development and am studying how to write producers.
The sample code I'm looking at has the following import statements:

import kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer;
import kafka.producer.KeyedMessage;
import kafka.producer.ProducerConfig;

The thing is, he doesn't use any packages that contain these classes. You're
supposed to use Gradle to compile the code but I'm not a whiz with Gradle
yet. I'm guessing that Gradle is somehow importing the necessary classes at
compile time. If I didn't want to use Gradle, how would I go about just
getting Kafka packages with the classes I need? I can't seem to find them by
googling.

Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
Principal
Mass Street Analytics, LLC
913.938.6685
www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba
Twitter: @BobLovesData

Re: where do I get the Kafka classes

Posted by Ofir Manor <of...@equalum.io>.
BTW - you could download the jars directly from maven central if you want,
for example:
  http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|a%3A%22kafka-clients%22

http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|a%3A%22spark-streaming-kafka-assembly_2.11%22%20AND%20v%3A%221.5.2%22

Ofir

Posted by Adaryl Wakefield <ad...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Adaryl,

--
Grant Henke
Software Engineer | Cloudera
grant@cloudera.com | twitter.com/gchenke | linkedin.com/in/granthenke

Re: where do I get the Kafka classes

First, it looks like you might be trying to use the old producer interface.
That interface is going to be deprecated in favor of the new producer
(under org.apache.kafka.clients.producer). I'd highly recommend using the
new producer interface instead.

Second, perhaps this repository of examples will be a helpful starting
point: https://github.com/confluentinc/examples It's just a few basic
examples, but also includes the necessary Maven build scripts. For example,
the couple of lines after the highlighted one here:
https://github.com/confluentinc/examples/blob/master/producer/pom.xml#L32
will include the necessary jar that includes the new producer.

-Ewen

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <
adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to java development and am studying how to write
> producers. The sample code I'm looking at has the following import
> statements:
>
> import kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer;
> import kafka.producer.KeyedMessage;
> import kafka.producer.ProducerConfig;
>
> The thing is, he doesn't use any packages that contain these classes.
> You're supposed to use Gradle to compile the code but I'm not a whiz with
> Gradle yet. I'm guessing that Gradle is somehow importing the necessary
> classes at compile time. If I didn't want to use Gradle, how would I go
> about just getting Kafka packages with the classes I need? I can't seem to
> find them by googling.
>

> Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
> Principal
> Mass Street Analytics, LLC
> 913.938.6685
> www.linkedin.com/in/bobwakefieldmba
> Twitter: @BobLovesData

Ewen

Re: where do I get the Kafka classes

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Hi Adaryl,

First, it looks like you might be trying to use the old producer interface.
That interface is going to be deprecated in favor of the new producer
(under org.apache.kafka.clients.producer). I'd highly recommend using the
new producer interface instead.

Second, perhaps this repository of examples will be a helpful starting
point: https://github.com/confluentinc/examples It's just a few basic
examples, but also includes the necessary Maven build scripts. For example,
the couple of lines after the highlighted one here:
https://github.com/confluentinc/examples/blob/master/producer/pom.xml#L32
will include the necessary jar that includes the new producer.

-Ewen

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM, Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA <
adaryl.wakefield@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to java development and am studying how to write
> producers. The sample code I'm looking at has the following import
> statements:
>
> import kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer;
> import kafka.producer.KeyedMessage;
> import kafka.producer.ProducerConfig;
>
> The thing is, he doesn't use any packages that contain these classes.
> You're supposed to use Gradle to compile the code but I'm not a whiz with
> Gradle yet. I'm guessing that Gradle is somehow importing the necessary
> classes at compile time. If I didn't want to use Gradle, how would I go
> about just getting Kafka packages with the classes I need? I can't seem to
> find them by googling.
>

> Adaryl "Bob" Wakefield, MBA
> Principal
> Mass Street Analytics, LLC