Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/22 15:12:59 UTC

[codec] Java 8

Hi All,

Now that Codec 1.12 is out, I plan on updating from Java 7 to Java 8.

Gary

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Am Fr., 22. März 2019 um 16:13 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
garydgregory@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> Now that Codec 1.12 is out, I plan on updating from Java 7 to Java 8.

+1

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 18:56, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 2:53 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I see no reason to update to Java 8 unless continuing with Java 7
> > becomes a big hassle.
> >
> > Why penalise people stuck on Java 7 unnecessarily?
> >

> I see it the other way around: Why do we want to handcuff new development
> on a dead platforms? For new contributors, this is a huge turn off.

Code written for Java 7 still runs on Java 8+
Java 7 is not dead in that sense.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
If it were easier to maintain branches against various releases of
Java, perhaps this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Also, philosophically, I'm already at the point where I consider Java
8 to be the "old" version of Java that's considered a bare minimum,
and new/existing projects should be running on Java 12 (or 11) even if
they're not targeting that source level yet. Hearing about people
still stuck with older versions is disheartening.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
This is a good general assumption that legacy installations do not care about new releases, however there is one quite common problem, if they wait for Commons Bugfixes they will be unhappy if a minor Release no longer works in their environment (and they would have to recompile). That’s why I generally vote for updates only to releases where no Läger number of requested bugfixes is shipped.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

________________________________

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
That seems reasonable.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Java 8

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1, but there are considerable projects out there that would want us to maintain backwards compatibility with Java 7.