Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Kasun Perera <ka...@opensource.lk> on 2012/04/20 10:20:19 UTC

Weighted cosine similarity calculation using Lucene

I have documents that are marked up with Taxonomy and Ontology terms
separately.
When I calculate the document similarity, I want to give higher weights to
those Taxonomy terms and Ontology terms.

When I index the document, I have defined the Document content, Taxonomy
and Ontology terms as Fields for each document like this in my program.

*Field ontologyTerm= new Field("fiboterms", fiboTermList[curDocNo],
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.ANALYZED, Field.TermVector.YES);*

*Field taxonomyTerm = new Field("taxoterms", taxoTermList[curDocNo],
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.ANALYZED, Field.TermVector.YES);*

*Field document = new Field(docNames[curDocNo], strRdElt,
Field.TermVector.YES);*

I’m using Lucene index .TermFreqVector functions to calculate TFIDF values
and, then calculate cosine similarity between two documents using TFIDF
values.

For give weights to Ontology and Taxonomy terms when calculating the cosine
similarity, what I can do is, programmatically multiply the Taxonomy
and Ontology
term frequencies with defined weight factor before calculating the TFIDF
scores. Will this give higher weight to Taxonomy and Ontology terms in
document similarity calculation?

Are there Lucene functions that can be used to give higher weights to the
certain fields when calculating TFIDF values using TermFreqVector? can I
just use the setboost() function for this purpose, then how?

--
Regards

Kasun Perera

Re: Weighted cosine similarity calculation using Lucene

Posted by Kasun Perera <ka...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Erick

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just boost the
> terms in the fields at query time?

Yes I can boost the fields in the query time. But I'm using the
termFreqVector get term frequencies and then calculate the TFIDF values for
documents then calculate the cosine similarity using TFIDF.
The field.setboost() function will give NO effect on term Frequencies.
Is there anyother way to do the boosting that will give effect
on term-frequencies?

Thanks

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.