Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org> on 2011/08/04 09:47:59 UTC

Mac buildbot

Hello,

maybe someone from this list can help.

Two or three years ago, I organized the loan of a Mac buildbot from an
anonymous supporter, which has been kindly hosted at the Sun
respectively Oracle office building in Hamburg. It's a Mac Pro machine,
if needed I can look up the exact technical details.

The machine's name was buildbot-mac1.services.openoffice.org.

However, for quite a while it seems to be unreachable, and since the
recent changes, there's no contact person anymore.

Does anyone know where this machine is at the moment? Since it's a loan
where I'm in charge of, I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Re: Donated hardware

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 4 August 2011 15:28, Martin Hollmichel
<ma...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some of the old fellows of the OpenOffice.org project may remember the CC
> and TeamOpenOffice.org e.V. sponsoring the project. Team OOo is still
> committed to contribute to the OpenOffice code base is and is looking
> forward to help with the old resources like the Mac Buildbot or the pootle
> server or even donating more resources.
>
> Martin

The OpenOffice.org certification project is also intended to help with this
type of thing. Some promising possibilities now but it will probably take at
least a few months to get some "surplus" cash.

Am 04.08.2011 16:17, schrieb Andre Schnabel:

>> Hi Sam,
>>
>>  Von: Sam Ruby<ru...@intertwingly.net>

>>> was donated to the project (such as the Pootle server) which presumably
>>> should be transferred to Apache since it was not Oracle's property. Do we
>>> know
>>> where this equipment is? Where would Apache host such systems?
>>>
>>> At the moment, all we have is a Software Grant.  While we could chose
>>> to go back and ask for me (and likely will when it comes to other
>>> source files that we determine we might need), I see nothing that
>>> indicates that we have a need to request the transfer of hardware.
>>>

>> I think, people who know about such hardware are  here on the list
>> already, so it should be quite easy to get answers. I'm not speaking
>> about Oracle hardware but of donations to the OOo project (like the
>> mac build bot mentioned by Florian) or servers payed from donated money
>> like the pootle server:
>>
>> http://openoffice.org/**projects/council/lists/budget/**
>> archive/2010-06/message/10<http://openoffice.org/projects/council/lists/budget/archive/2010-06/message/10>
>>
>> Although there might be no urgent need of those servers, it might be
>> worth to ask if these resources can be used (or how they are currently
>> used).
>>

>> regards,
>>
>> André
>>
>> --
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: Donated hardware

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
Hi *,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Florian Effenberger
<fl...@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> what would be of interest to me is where - in this particular case - the
> machine is currently located. Up to now, I could easily assume it is in the
> Sun/Oracle offices in Hamburg, but where is it now? My latest status is that
> the machine itself was a loan, and that the infrastructure budget holders
> (Stefan Taxhet, Christian Lohmaier and myself) decided to buy a few new
> disks in 2008/2009.
> [...]

To complete this: The machine has been restored into a working state
after the build failures, however it has not been added back to
buildbot/tinderbox as the buildbot master did not report the results
to tinderbox anymore (and I took that as a precondition for
maintaining buildbots/tinderbox slaves myself, and as TDF was also
beginning around that time my personal focus shifted as well..).

So it is functional, with one disk for OS, and two disk in a RAID0 for
building..
(but I cannot access it either, connection times out)
The Mac OSX Server OS (10.6) license that has been donated as well did
expire, thus the it was replaced by the the regular 10.5

ciao
Christian

Re: Donated hardware

Posted by Florian Effenberger <fl...@documentfoundation.org>.
Hi Martin,

Martin Hollmichel wrote on 2011-08-04 16:28:
> some of the old fellows of the OpenOffice.org project may remember the
> CC and TeamOpenOffice.org e.V. sponsoring the project. Team OOo is still
> committed to contribute to the OpenOffice code base is and is looking
> forward to help with the old resources like the Mac Buildbot or the
> pootle server or even donating more resources.

what would be of interest to me is where - in this particular case - the
machine is currently located. Up to now, I could easily assume it is in
the Sun/Oracle offices in Hamburg, but where is it now? My latest status
is that the machine itself was a loan, and that the infrastructure
budget holders (Stefan Taxhet, Christian Lohmaier and myself) decided to
buy a few new disks in 2008/2009.

The buildbot has had issues for quite a while, and I guess it would be
valueable for both projects to have it up and running again soon, that's
why I am asking.

Florian

Re: Donated hardware

Posted by Martin Hollmichel <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Donated hardware (was: Mac buildbot)

Posted by Andre Schnabel <An...@gmx.net>.
Hi Sam,

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On 4 Aug 2011, at 14:49, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
>>
>> This raises an interesting question. I'm aware of other hardware that was donated to the project (such as the Pootle server) which presumably should be transferred to Apache since it was not Oracle's property. Do we know where this equipment is? Where would Apache host such systems?
>
> At the moment, all we have is a Software Grant.  While we could chose
> to go back and ask for me (and likely will when it comes to other
> source files that we determine we might need), I see nothing that
> indicates that we have a need to request the transfer of hardware.

While that is true of the hardware Oracle has used for the project (which is the vast majority of the hardware in use), you should consider these messages from Florian and I as a clear indication that we need to request information on the disposition of specific hardware loaned or donated to the project.

S.

Re: Donated hardware (was: Mac buildbot)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2011, at 08:47, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> maybe someone from this list can help.
>>
>> Two or three years ago, I organized the loan of a Mac buildbot from an anonymous supporter, which has been kindly hosted at the Sun respectively Oracle office building in Hamburg. It's a Mac Pro machine, if needed I can look up the exact technical details.
>>
>> The machine's name was buildbot-mac1.services.openoffice.org.
>>
>> However, for quite a while it seems to be unreachable, and since the recent changes, there's no contact person anymore.
>>
>> Does anyone know where this machine is at the moment? Since it's a loan where I'm in charge of, I hope someone can help.
>
> This raises an interesting question. I'm aware of other hardware that was donated to the project (such as the Pootle server) which presumably should be transferred to Apache since it was not Oracle's property. Do we know where this equipment is? Where would Apache host such systems?

At the moment, all we have is a Software Grant.  While we could chose
to go back and ask for me (and likely will when it comes to other
source files that we determine we might need), I see nothing that
indicates that we have a need to request the transfer of hardware.

As to the question as to whether or not such hardware is Oracle's
property, I have no opinion on the topic.

> S.

- Sam Ruby

Donated hardware (was: Mac buildbot)

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.