Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Smith, Michelle" <Mi...@bhpbilliton.com> on 2008/07/10 05:29:44 UTC

WinXP Env - successfully using repos WITHOUT SVNServe.EXE running. OK to do?

Hi,

I'm using Subversion for Win32, version 1.4.5

We've been using Subversion (using the SVNSERVE.EXE running as a Windows
service) for a team of 5 people to manage version control.  Due to huge
file sizes, we're about to shift across to a dedicated SAN with massive
storage volume.  The WinXP desktop machine that is currently running the
SVNSERVE.EXE service will be taken off-line.

The SAN storage space (mapped to "Y:\"  on my machine) does NOT have the
SVNSERVE.EXE running as a service since it's apparently just an array of
hard drives without an operating system.  My client machine doesn't have
the SVNSERVE.EXE service running either (though subversion is installed
in Program Files\Subversion).  Despite this, I can (using TortoiseSVN),
create a repository on the Y:\ drive and successfully checkout, add,
commit and update changes to this repository via my repository.  The
only difference I can see is that the repository path is now "
file:///Y:/Test Repository <file:///Y:/Test Repository> " where it used
to be svn://ACOMPUTER/AFOLDER.

I can't find anything in the documentation about using SVN in this
manner - essentially, the only two documented methods I can see is a)
APACHE and b)SVNSERVE.EXE.  I'm mystified as to how the software is
actually functioning if it's not running as a service on either of the
two machines that are a) hosting and b) communicating with the
repository.

Am I OK to use Subversion in this fashion? Is there anything I need to
be aware of?

Looking forward to any comments,

Thanks,

Michelle Smith
Senior Database Geologist
Uranium - Olympic Dam Expansion Project
BHP Billiton

55 Grenfell St, Adelaide, 5000, Australia
Mailto	 michelle.smith@bhpbilliton.com
Internet	 http://www.bhpbilliton.com
<http://www.bhpbilliton.com/>
Phone	 +61 8 84052043
Mobile	 n/a
Fax	 +61 8 81125200

RE: RE: WinXP Env - successfully using repos WITHOUT SVNServe.EXE running. OK to do?

Posted by "Gillis, Paul" <pg...@insight-tek.com>.
What you've lost is the ability to do repository access administration
from a subversion server.  You now depend on windows login
authentication to validate users and they can read/write to repositories
based solely on the Windows file permissions.  You won't have the
ability to restrict read/write access to users by directories in your
repository.  It's all or nothing.  A small team of people can operate
successfully this way if you've got a reliable file server and network.

- Paul

________________________________

Posted by John Niven <jn...@bravurasolutions.com>.
(Apologies for the formatting, some mail clients don't handle the
conversion from HTML email to plain-text very well)

________________________________

	Thank you for your polite response.  I actually HAVE looked in
the SVN book (by which, I assume you mean the help file that is
installed with Subversion) and I've also tried to search the archived
mail posts.  Failing to find a solution to my problem, I posted on to
this user forum.  A search for the keyword "File://" doesn't actually
help since every page in the help file that has the word "File" in it
comes up.  Perhaps you could point me to the appropriate section of the
SVNBook if it's so easy to find?

Hi Michelle

The SVN book is the SVN manual, available online at:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html

The following section talks about file:// over network shares:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.choosing.html

<quote>"Do not be seduced by the simple idea of having all of your users
access a repository directly via file:// URLs. Even if the repository is
readily available to everyone via network share, this is a bad idea. It
removes any layers of protection between the users and the repository:
users can accidentally (or intentionally) corrupt the repository
database, it becomes hard to take the repository offline for inspection
or upgrade, and it can lead to a mess of file-permissions
problems"</quote>

Cheers
John

<Mi...@bhpbilliton.com> wrote:

[...]

repository path is now "file:///Y:/Test Repository" where it used to be

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 11, 2008, at 00:44, Kevin Grover wrote:

> There are also issues with server/client compatibility: when you
> use the file:// protocol, each users client is acting as a server
> (it directly reads and writes the repository files.)  This is
> actually very quick.  However, if you upgrade to a newer svn
> client, your writing to the repo may silently upgrade it.  Then,
> anyone use an older client could not access it.  However, if you
> use svn:// or http:// then different vesions of clients have no
> problem accessing the server (and there are no silent upgrade issues).

The documentation says working copies auto-upgrade themselves, but
repositories don't:

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.4_releasenotes.html

"if a Subversion 1.4 client encounters a pre-1.4 working copy, it
will *automatically* upgrade the working copy format as soon as it
touches it, making it unreadable by older Subversion clients. [...]
This "auto upgrade" feature, however, does *not* occur with the new
repository format."

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html

"if a Subversion 1.5 client encounters a pre-1.5 working copy, it
will *automatically* upgrade the working copy format as soon as it
touches it, making it unreadable by older Subversion clients. [...]
The Subversion 1.5 server works with 1.4 and older repositories, and
it will *not* upgrade such repositories to 1.5 unless specifically
requested to via the svnadmin upgrade command."

Re: WinXP Env - successfully using repos WITHOUT SVNServe.EXE running. OK to do?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 13, 2008, at 19:37, Smith, Michelle wrote:

> Thanks for all responses.  Rush - it would be great to keep the
> existing
> desktop that runs the SVNServe.exe as a service, but our IT guru's are
> trying to minimise the number of computers my group has (I have 3!)
> and
> will not allow us to keep this "mini-server" going.  I think we're
> going
> to have to give the file:\\ method a go.  I'm not concerned about the
> permissions, since this is a very small group so it should be easy
> enough to manage.  I'll do some tests with multiple users commiting
> large files at the same time.

I strongly recommend you do not attempt to have multiple users
accessing a repository over the file:// protocol. It is not meant for
that. Please run svnserve or apache on a server. It does not have to
be a dedicated server; any computer you have that is on during the
times when the repository is to be accessed will probably be sufficient.

Though you can do yourself a favor now and define a new DNS alias for
that computer specifically for Subversion. So if your server's usual
address is henry.example.com, define a new DNS CNAME that points
svn.example.com to henry.example.com. Have everyone access your
repository using svn.example.com. That way if you later need to move
the repositories to a different server or to a dedicated server, you
won't have to inform anyone of a new address; you'll just have to
change the DNS alias.

RE: WinXP Env - successfully using repos WITHOUT SVNServe.EXE running. OK to do?

Posted by "Smith, Michelle" <Mi...@bhpbilliton.com>.

Thanks for all responses.  Rush - it would be great to keep the existing
desktop that runs the SVNServe.exe as a service, but our IT guru's are
trying to minimise the number of computers my group has (I have 3!) and
will not allow us to keep this "mini-server" going.  I think we're going
to have to give the file:\\ method a go.  I'm not concerned about the
permissions, since this is a very small group so it should be easy
enough to manage.  I'll do some tests with multiple users commiting
large files at the same time.

Thanks for your help,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Paul Koning <Pa...@dell.com>.

 Michelle> Thanks,

 Michelle> Up till now we have been using SVNSERVE.exe (and I'd be
 Michelle> more comfortable to continue to do so), however, our IT
 Michelle> department wants to shift us to this super-fast & large
 Michelle> array of disks.

That's fine.  Just keep on using svnserve, but put the repository on
the SAN.

By the way, the thing to watch out for is NAS (file server), not SAN
(block servers).  SANs are just fine, we use them all the time for our
repositories.  But keep the SVN server in the path.

	       paul

RE: WinXP Env - successfully using repos WITHOUT SVNServe.EXE running. OK to do?

Posted by "Smith, Michelle" <Mi...@bhpbilliton.com>.
Thanks,

Up till now we have been using SVNSERVE.exe (and I'd be more comfortable
to continue to do so), however, our IT department wants to shift us to
this super-fast & large array of disks.  Given it's such a small team of
users (5), we should be able to control the client software issues.
I'll do some testing by having multiple users committing 3GB+ files at
the same time & see what happens.  From what you've said, and what I've
read, a new local service is spawned by each client, so I'm unsure how
(if) this will impact the repository.

Thanks for the help,

<Mi...@bhpbilliton.com> wrote:

[...]

Yes, I was talking about the svn book -- that's the help file that comes
with Subversion.

You are correct that the info is not as easy to find as I thought. I
loaded the SVN book (single HTML file:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html) and also the FAQ
(http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html) and searched quickly for file://
(too many) and 'network' and 'danger' and could not find it.

The biggest problems are permissions and access control.  svn:// and
http:// are separate processes that control access to the repository.
With file://, if you have write permissions (i.e. on an OS file level)
to the files in the repository, you can commit.  You can also CD in
there and screw things up completely.

There are also issues with server/client compatibility: when you use the
file:// protocol, each users client is acting as a server (it directly
reads and writes the repository files.)  This is actually very quick.
However, if you upgrade to a newer svn client, your writing to the repo
may silently upgrade it.  Then, anyone use an older client could not
access it.  However, if you use svn:// or http:// then different vesions
of clients have no problem accessing the server (and there are no silent
upgrade issues).

The greatest use of file:// are you can quickly create and use a
repository if you can not (or do not want to take the time) to setup and
run svnserve or Apache.  Plus there is no configuration needed.  With
svn:// you must edit the svnserve.conf file (and probably the passwd
file) (in each repo) before you can commit.  The configuration for http:
is more complicated upfront, but easier to setup a global configuration
that all repositories use.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but don't have time now to look more
into it.

Re: WinXP Env - successfully using repos WITHOUT SVNServe.EXE running. OK to do?

Posted by Kevin Grover <ke...@kevingrover.net>.

Posted by Kevin Grover <ke...@kevingrover.net>.

Posted by Rush Manbert <ru...@manbert.com>.
On Jul 9, 2008, at 10:29 PM, Smith, Michelle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Subversion for Win32, version 1.4.5
>
> We've been using Subversion (using the SVNSERVE.EXE running as a
> Windows service) for a team of 5 people to manage version control.
> Due to huge file sizes, we're about to shift across to a dedicated
> SAN with massive storage volume.  The WinXP desktop machine that is
> currently running the SVNSERVE.EXE service will be taken off-line.
>
> The SAN storage space (mapped to "Y:\"  on my machine) does NOT have
> the SVNSERVE.EXE running as a service since it's apparently just an
> array of hard drives without an operating system.  My client machine
> doesn't have the SVNSERVE.EXE service running either (though
> subversion is installed in Program Files\Subversion).  Despite this,
> I can (using TortoiseSVN), create a repository on the Y:\ drive and
> successfully checkout, add, commit and update changes to this
> repository via my repository.  The only difference I can see is that
> the repository path is now "file:///Y:/Test Repository" where it
> used to be svn://ACOMPUTER/AFOLDER.
>
> I can't find anything in the documentation about using SVN in this
> manner - essentially, the only two documented methods I can see is
> a) APACHE and b)SVNSERVE.EXE.  I'm mystified as to how the software
> is actually functioning if it's not running as a service on either
> of the two machines that are a) hosting and b) communicating with
> the repository.
>
> Am I OK to use Subversion in this fashion? Is there anything I need
> to be aware of?
>
> Looking forward to any comments,
>
> Thanks,

I have read everything in this thread, but have a slightly different
response.

Rather than taking the current server down, why don't you just map the
SAN storage to it, the same way you mapped "Y:\" on your local
machine, and continue to use it?

Alternatively, can you install SSH on the Windows machines, then use
svn+ssh://localhost//Y:/path/to/repository. (We do that here with
Windows clients, but our server is a Mac, so I don't know if this
"just works" on Windows.)

- Rush