Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/06 03:22:33 UTC

Contents of Podling Status Tracking

As a follow up to my prior question, (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/31119aafbc4260720d222666f3efd01f2fe2975e424039ea539c9cb6@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
).
Looking at our current tracking file for podlings, I wonder how much of the
information is useful.  Let's use Traffic Control as a for instance here:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/trafficcontrol.html (its nothing
they're doing bad, I just happened to grab them)

- The committer list is fully replaced by the Whimsy Roster Tool
- Do we care about News? Shouldn't this be captured in the quarterly
reports?
- I see a lot of usefulness in tracking the Podling Name Search request
- The first few questions have to do with the actual vote.  I think these
can best be captured by two fields - "Sponsor" and "Date Accepted into
Incubator"
- Infra section - I think all of these are important, we may want to expand
some of the options to include gitbox and other tools that are managed
outside our hosted infrastructure.
- Mentor section - I'm not sure how useful this is, but I want to get
others opinions.  Mentors being on the IPMC is a pre-req for votes, so this
is hopefully less of an issue.
- Copyright - I believe this can be replaced by a single field "Date SGA
Received".  Copyright headers are subjective.
- Add a new field "Date of IP Clearance" for projects using IP Clearance
instead of SGA (e.g. already Apache v2)
- Verify Distribution Rights - I think this can be rewritten to instead say
"Date of Release with no Source Licensing Issues" (listing out the bullet
points mentioned here) and a new field "Date of Release with no Binary
Licensing Issues" (indicating some of the Cat-B/Optional Cat-X stuff)
- I don't think we need the committers section at the bottom, since the
roster would be controlled from Whimsy itself.

Is there more information that we could leverage to make this easier to
watch?  I figure that once a podling has filled out all of these (except
for one of SGA/IP Clearance) we can tell them they're close to graduation.

John

Re: Contents of Podling Status Tracking

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:49 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> Some of the data that you mentioned doesn't need to be in the status
>> file as it can be generated from other sources.  For example:
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/json/podlingnamesearch.  I'll
>> refactor that code and add that information to the ppmc pages of the
>> roster tool.
>
> I don't see the code that generates this.  Where did it come from?

Here's the code:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/6752628340f330303089fd7521724381f653ca97/www/board/agenda/routes.rb#L186

The parsing logic will move to
https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/lib/whimsy/asf/podlings.rb,
and therefore be usable by multiple tools (in this case, the board
agenda and roster tools).

>> YAML is more human editable than JSON.  As Sebb points out elsewhere,
>> it also supports comments.
>>
>> One thing that whimsy should do is spit out a digested and accumulated
>> set of information in JSON which can be read by other tools.  A good
>> place for a public view would be the phonebook application.
>>

> Agreed.  All of the changes I have locally are going into
> public_podlings.json first.  Once that works, we can start to incorporate
> into other pages.

Recommendation: add any logic to
https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/lib/whimsy/asf/podlings.rb
and similar pages, have the existing cron job that extracts that data
merely fetch it from the library.  The library can then be used by the
roster tool.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Contents of Podling Status Tracking

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:44 AM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> Not sure where to comment, so I'll top post.
>
> Some of the data that you mentioned doesn't need to be in the status
> file as it can be generated from other sources.  For example:
> https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/json/podlingnamesearch.  I'll
> refactor that code and add that information to the ppmc pages of the
> roster tool.

I don't see the code that generates this.  Where did it come from?

> YAML is more human editable than JSON.  As Sebb points out elsewhere,
> it also supports comments.
>
> One thing that whimsy should do is spit out a digested and accumulated
> set of information in JSON which can be read by other tools.  A good
> place for a public view would be the phonebook application.

Agreed.  All of the changes I have locally are going into
public_podlings.json first.  Once that works, we can start to incorporate
into other pages.

> I see as I typed this Bertrand brought up clutch and graduation
> checklist.  I see those as items that can be incorporated into the
> roster tool, with the added value that this tool is both read/write.
> See something that needs to be changed?  Given the right permissions,
> you can fix it right there, and interested parties will be notified of
> the change.
>
> I've already added a button to the bottom of the PPMC roster pages to
> help you draft a graduation resolution.  At the moment, it doesn't do
> anything more than display the resolution which you can copy/paste.
> This not only will save a few minutes, the resolution will contain the
> correct names and ids.

I gave it a field run, it looks nice.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> YAML is more human editable than JSON.  As Sebb points out elsewhere,
> it also supports comments.

Alternative: create DOAP files for podlings.  In general, model
podlings like PMCs as much and as soon as possible.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Contents of Podling Status Tracking

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 1:43 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I'm not sure how much others care about clutch....

> ...work has started to generate podling reporting
> data out of whimsy using a data feed,
> https://whimsy.apache.org/public/public_podlings.json  - take a look at the
> schedule section...

ok, it looks like that data would be sufficient if clutch is phased out.

I'm fine with removing Clutch as long as that's a conscious decision,
especially if things are available in Whimsy backed by structured text
files.

-Bertrand

Re: Contents of Podling Status Tracking

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:22 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...Looking at our current tracking file for podlings, I wonder how much
> of the
> > information is useful...
>
> I agree that a good part of the information found in podling status
> pages belongs on their own websites, as soon as those are up.
>
> Note that http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html does scrape some
> data from those pages AFAIK, so it might break if we remove things.

I'm not sure how much others care about clutch.  It was never updated to
handle things like git, github, etc.  I think if the remaining useful data
from clutch can be folded in to the public display we're OK.

I do think some of the automated information it provides is useful - number
of days incubating, distribution area, but I'm personally OK if clutch goes
away when this is all done (work has started to generate podling reporting
data out of whimsy using a data feed,
https://whimsy.apache.org/public/public_podlings.json  - take a look at the
schedule section).  I never quite liked the color coded table with
characters for column headers.

If we still want an incubator level "executive summary" type of report,
that can be built from the data feed as well.

> It looks to me like podlings.xml + whimsy roster + a graduation
> checklist / report including items like software grants, list of
> releases, podling name search etc. would do - but I haven't checked
> the impact on the clutch report.

Funny thing.  I've never actually been on the creating side for an
incubator release.  Does projects.a.o work for podlings?  I do see one of
my podlings there, and if we can pull that data we can show release data as
well automatically.

> That graduation report (along with the optional maturity model
> self-assessment) can then live on the podling's website to gradually
> evolve during incubation, and be sumitted along with the graduation
> request. There's no need to check those things beforehand, IMO, as
> long as podlings have a template for that report which indicates
> what's required.

I think if a podling isn't sure if they're ready to graduate, having
someone look at this list would be useful.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,