Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Grobe, Gary" <Ga...@bmc.com> on 2002/01/28 21:44:48 UTC

just installed and index.html is not .html.en

I just downloaded, built, and installed 1.3.20 and when I browsed the
server, it looked like the main page came up using unknown character sets as
I'd normally see if I recv'd e-mail in chinese. Anyone know what needs to be
adjusted here?

Any help much appreciated.

RE: just installed and index.html is not .html.en

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Grobe, Gary [mailto:Gary_Grobe@bmc.com]

> I just downloaded, built, and installed 1.3.20 and when I browsed the
> server, it looked like the main page came up using unknown
> character sets as
> I'd normally see if I recv'd e-mail in chinese. Anyone know what
> needs to be
> adjusted here?

This is caused by the intersection of a bunch of complicated factors.  Some
of them are:

- You are using an old httpd.conf with a new set of index.html.* files.

- There is an AddLanguage missing in your httpd.conf for one of the
index.html.* files.

- Negotiation then gets messed up.

Joshua.