Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/20 23:22:07 UTC

Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

I'm not sure what I did to screw things up, but lately it is failing
to download plugins because it is trying to use a version that doesn't
exist.  I'm using Nexus as a mirror of everything.

E.g., I just tried to do a "mvn archetype:create" to create a new
plugin and it gave an error because it's trying to download the
maven-archetype-plugin version 2.0-alpha-6, which doesn't exist.

What did I do that screwed things up?  Is something wrong with Nexus?
Do I need to do a sync or something?

Thanks,
Phillip

P.S.  Here's the actual output:

C:\mycomps\maven\plugin\hello>mvn archetype:create
-DgroupId=ad.maven.plugin -DartifactId=maven-hello-plugin
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-mojo

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

Project ID: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin

Reason: Error getting POM for
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' from the repository:
Failed to resolve artifact, possibly due to a repository list that is
not appropriately equipped for this artifact's metadata.

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  all-mirror (http://maven:8080/nexus/content/groups/public)

 for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin

Re: Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try removing the directory tree for the archetype plugin from your
> local repo, and see if it goes back to using the released version.

Thanks; unfortunately, it didn't help.

> You can also use the long form of the plugin execution command, and
> specify groupId:artifactId:version to force it to use the version you
> want.

Yep, that's what I've been having to do.

Phillip

Re: Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What did I do that screwed things up?  Is something wrong with Nexus?
> Do I need to do a sync or something?

Usually when Maven is trying to update plugin snapshots, it's because
one has gotten into your local repository.

--
Wendy

Re: Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> having problems :( How did a version 2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT for the
>> maven-archetype-plugin get into Nexus and how do I get rid of it?
>> Another one is the maven-help-plugin; it wants to use version
>> 2.2-SNAPSHOT which isn't available.
>
> There's a Nexus Users list that would be more appropriate for this
> line of questioning...

Thanks.  I will try there.

Phillip

Re: Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> having problems :( How did a version 2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT for the
> maven-archetype-plugin get into Nexus and how do I get rid of it?
> Another one is the maven-help-plugin; it wants to use version
> 2.2-SNAPSHOT which isn't available.

There's a Nexus Users list that would be more appropriate for this
line of questioning...

Wayne

Re: Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what I did to screw things up, but lately it is failing
> to download plugins because it is trying to use a version that doesn't
> exist.  I'm using Nexus as a mirror of everything.
>
> E.g., I just tried to do a "mvn archetype:create" to create a new
> plugin and it gave an error because it's trying to download the
> maven-archetype-plugin version 2.0-alpha-6, which doesn't exist.
>
> What did I do that screwed things up?  Is something wrong with Nexus?
> Do I need to do a sync or something?

I tried Expire Cache, Rebuild Metadata, ReIndex, etc. and I'm still
having problems :( How did a version 2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT for the
maven-archetype-plugin get into Nexus and how do I get rid of it?
Another one is the maven-help-plugin; it wants to use version
2.2-SNAPSHOT which isn't available.

Please help!  This is driving me nuts; I'm tired of typing everything
out the long way, e.g.:
   mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-help-plugin:2.1.1:help
instead of
   mvn help:help

Phillip

RE: Maven wants to get plugin versions that don't exist

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.
See http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/settings-xml-td131025.html#a131025

/James

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Nord, James" <JN...@nds.com>.

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joachim Van der Auwera <jo...@progs.be>.
Sounds familiar.
I have seen these problems occur because of inclusion of the JBoss maven
repo.
In my case, I fixed it by not proxying the entire jboss repo but only
there releases.

Joachim

On 10/20/2010 11:22 PM, Phillip Hellewell wrote:
> I'm not sure what I did to screw things up, but lately it is failing
> to download plugins because it is trying to use a version that doesn't
> exist.  I'm using Nexus as a mirror of everything.
>
> E.g., I just tried to do a "mvn archetype:create" to create a new
> plugin and it gave an error because it's trying to download the
> maven-archetype-plugin version 2.0-alpha-6, which doesn't exist.
>
> What did I do that screwed things up?  Is something wrong with Nexus?
> Do I need to do a sync or something?
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip
>
> P.S.  Here's the actual output:
>
> C:\mycomps\maven\plugin\hello>mvn archetype:create
> -DgroupId=ad.maven.plugin -DartifactId=maven-hello-plugin
> -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
> -DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-mojo
>
> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
>
> Project ID: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin
>
> Reason: Error getting POM for
> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' from the repository:
> Failed to resolve artifact, possibly due to a repository list that is
> not appropriately equipped for this artifact's metadata.
>
>    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-6-SNAPSHOT
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>    all-mirror (http://maven:8080/nexus/content/groups/public)
>
>   for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin

Joachim Van der Auwera
PROGS bvba, progs.be