Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Whitney <sw...@buzzwordtech.com> on 2000/07/19 23:12:10 UTC

Setup problems

Well, I'm trying to set up Jakarta (via IIS) on my server, and I appear to
be having some issues.

These are probably conceptual on my part, but any help would be appreciated.

I have a (several, in fact) web sites up and running, and IIS is and has
been functioning fine for quite awhile.  I followed the information in
Tomcat IIS HowTo.html, and I succeeded in installing the ISAPI filter, and
there is, in fact, a green arrow next to it.
I also installed the Java SDK 1.3 to my system.
Now, I have created the virtual directory jakarta, and this points to my
E:\Program Files\TomCat\bin directory wherein lives the isapi dll.
Now what?  I cannot find this "examples" directory to which you guys refer.
I would love to set up an examples directory and test out a hello world, but
I have no idea where to begin.  Do I just dump .jsp files out on my site and
they are automatically hosted?  I think that I have to set up a worker
context (which I have done):
worker.list=ajp12
worker.ajp12.port=8007
worker.ajp12.host=localhost

and that I need particular contexts set up for each directory, right?
# Mount the servlet context to the ajp12 worker
/servlet/*=ajp12
# Mount the examples context to the ajp12 worker
/examples/*=ajp12

So, in this case, there would be a virtual directory /jakarta/examples and
another /jakarta/servlet?  Is "context" here synonymous with path?

Finally, how and where do I tell IIS to parse .jsp files?  They serve up
only as HTML files with no processing.

An "intro to JSP" or "setting up" document would certainly help me out, but
I can't seem to find that, either.

Lost in Java Hell,
Scott Whitney