Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/08/18 14:47:01 UTC

[VOTE] Change the names of our branches

Hi all,

after discussing this topic on the list, I would like to make it official.

I propose to name our existing “master” branch to “develop” as this reflects its purpose best.

Also I propose to create an additional protected branch called “release” which will contain the latest released version of all content we provide.

This vote will stay open for 72 hours.

Chris

Re: [VOTE] Change the names of our branches

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-bonding)

One suggestion:: May be I am too late..

 Can have “trunk” and cut branches when we are planing to have release
(based on version) ??

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 10:43 PM, gautam gupta <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adding my 2 cents. In the past, I have seen both the models. Keeping two
>
> branches: One for Develop and another for Releases. At the same time, I
>
> have also found tagging the releases to be sufficient.
>

> IMHO, we can go for the model that needs less maintenance & operational
>
> effort for our project.
>

> +1 for Chris's approach
>

> thanks,
>
> Gautam
>

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 1:50 AM Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>

> > As an aside, there's some specific meanings for the develop branch and
>
> > release branches associated with the "git flow" methodology[1].  I
>
> > don't think we're proposing to adopt this specific way of working, but
>
> > it might look like it!
>

> > In the proposed sense, "develop" matches perfectly, but "release" for
>
> > the latest release isn't very common.  In my experience, tagging
>
> > releases has been sufficient.
>

> > Regardless, as long as we're clear in the documentation for
>
> > contributors: +1 (non)
>

> > Thanks! Ryan
>

> > [1] https://datasift.github.io/gitflow/IntroducingGitFlow.html
>

> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:54 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com
> >

> > wrote:
>

> > > +1
>

> --

--Brahma Reddy Battula

Re: [VOTE] Change the names of our branches

Posted by gautam gupta <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Change the names of our branches

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
+1

Craig

> On Aug 18, 2020, at 7:47 AM, Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> after discussing this topic on the list, I would like to make it official.
>
> I propose to name our existing “master” branch to “develop” as this reflects its purpose best.
>
> Also I propose to create an additional protected branch called “release” which will contain the latest released version of all content we provide.
>
> This vote will stay open for 72 hours.
>
> Chris

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org