Posted to community@apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2005/05/06 00:09:41 UTC

.apache Freenode cloaks available

If are an ASF committer and use Freenode on IRC and want a username cloak,
please feel free to place a request in committers:docs/freenode-cloaks.txt.

More about cloaks: <http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#cloaks>
Nick setups (required): <http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup>

At this time, we'll only have 'committers'.  We may add more categories
later at our discretion.  Thanks!  -- justin

Re: .apache Freenode cloaks available

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Friday, May 6, 2005 12:35 AM +0200 "David N. Welton"
<da...@dedasys.com> wrote:

> Would it perhaps be wise to stay away from strongly identifying people
> with the ASF in such an informal setting?

I don't really think it's *that* strong of an identifier.  The cloak just
removes your hostname on IRC and replaces it with
'<userid>.committers.apache' when you do a 'whois' on the user in Freenode.
I view it as fairly harmless and much less so than giving people
@apache.org email address.  =)

BTW, we had discussed this on board@ and infrastructure@ a while ago; but
we didn't actually add any cloaks until today.  -- justin

Re: .apache Freenode cloaks available

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> writes:

> If are an ASF committer and use Freenode on IRC and want a username
> cloak, please feel free to place a request in
> committers:docs/freenode-cloaks.txt.
>
> More about cloaks: <http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#cloaks>
> Nick setups (required): <http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup>
>
> At this time, we'll only have 'committers'.  We may add more
> categories later at our discretion.  Thanks!  -- justin

Hi,

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/