Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/13 13:55:32 UTC

Next release?

Hi folks,

There have been many big changes since the last release including work
focused on reducing memory footprint, a major overhaul of the
documentation, and countless other things.

We should get the next release started sometime soon. Is there anything in
particular that we should wait on before proceeding?

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: Next release?

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.
> Do we want to adopt that?

Yes this is what we agreed on.

> Oh the reason for 8.x to 9.0 was a sort of potential
"incompatibility": We changed the version number because the license
begins to change from BSD to Apache. That could be considered
"incompatible" to some users.

I'd also like to add that before releasing 9.0 we missed 2 release cycles,
so the difference between 8.x and 9.0 was also quite large.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.
The numbering you mention gives the same expectation to me.
Maybe we can hold off deciding the number until we build the list
of changes. This way we can know if there are indeed breaking changes.

Best,
Matias

Re: Next release?

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 6:40 PM Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've been assiging various PRs from both repos to 10.0 milestone.
> > Please also see if you think not assigned ones are to be surely included
> > and assign them. I've not done this with issues as many are old ones
> > for which no PR was proposed.
> >
> > Regarding bumping release: I think we had many major changes
> > and I was under the impression that we indeed should do a major
> > bump (hence the 10.0 milestone name).
> >
> > But maybe I've read that wrong
>
> Well, I think that the issue is that we need to decide what the major
> release number means.  If it means that the code users have under 9.x
> will not no longer work, it should be boosted to 10.0. Otherwise, under
> what conditions to we boost the major revision number?
>
> Going from 8.x to 9.0 did not follow these rules.  There was not
> particular incompatibility at all.  The major number changed only
> because it was the first Apache release.  Other people have suggested
> boosting the major number to celebrate the NuttX2019 event.  The only
> point is that we need to decide what these numbers mean and be consistent.
>
> As a user, I expect to see issues if I upgraded from (n).(x) to (n+1).0.
> I would not expect to see issues if I upgraded from (n).(x) to
> (n).(n+1).  What would be your expectation?
>

> I think the best policy is described here:

https://semver.org/

New major version = backwards incompatible API changes.

New minor version = backwards compatible.

New patch version = bugfixes (and backwards compatible obviously)

Do we want to adopt that?

Nathan

Re: Next release?

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release?

Posted by Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>.
Nathan,

--
Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>

Re: Next release?

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.
We can assign issues/PRs to the next release milestone to track things we don't want
to leave out in next release. We should categorize outstanding bugs to be included.

In my case I would like to include the build fix I have in PRs, for example. Another thing I'm
thinking on is having the documentation support not only latest (master) but also stable (release).
But I think this would not be a blocker.

Best,
Matias