Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Fred Bloggs <nm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/11/21 13:38:12 UTC

Re: tiles:insert page action with form - problem?

Dear All

I have been struggling with this for a while now and
seemed to have got part of the way but now I seem to
have hit a brick wall.

I would like to insert a tile (into a jsp page) which
is actually the result of action.  The action takes as
input form parameters.

I have tried the following:

<tiles:insert
page="/getnewsdo?categoryid=167&topicid=234"/>

This works and populates the associate form correctly,
but how do I do it programmatically in my jsp page if
I have the two variable available, i.e. categorid and
topicid  using (Exepression Lanaguage) EL in the jsp?

Ideally I would like to do the following:

<tiles:insert
page="/getnewsdo?categoryid=${categoriyid}&topicid=${topicid}"/>

But this does not work.  I cannot figure out how to
make it work.  I have scanned the web and found a
reference that suggests that EL may not work in
certain tags if the tag has �tagdependant� set.

Is there another  better way of doing this with the
tiles:insert or tiles:put tags?

I am using Struts 1.1 with Tomcat 4.1.28

I would be grateful for any pointers.

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
Fred,

Try checking out a org.apache.struts.tiles.actions.TilesAction as your
action type.  That gives you direct access to the tiles layout so you can
add/set tiles information to your choice of values.

Regards,
David