Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tom McKenzie <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/22 19:53:16 UTC

Consumer Best Practices

Hello

Is there a good reference for best practices on running Java consumers?
I'm thinking a FAQ format.

   - How should we run them?  We are currently running them in Tomcat on
   Ubuntu, are there other approaches using services?  Maybe the service
   wrapper http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/download.jsp?
   - How should we monitor them?  I going to try
   https://github.com/stealthly/metrics-kafka
   <https://github.com/stealthly/metrics-kafka>
   - How do we scale?  I'm guessing we run more servers but we could also
   run more threads?  What are the tradeoffs?
   - Links to code examples
   - How do we make consumers robust?  i.e. Best practices for exceptions
   handling.  We have noticed if our code has a NPE it's stops consuming.

Also if this doesn't exist I would be willing to start this document.  I
would think it would be near this page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA
/0.8.0+SimpleConsumer+Example

Thanks,