Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/13 07:21:21 UTC

Newbie question: "jdbc:/localhost/dbname" doesn't work

Hi,

I am trying to use Derby (infact from the JavaDB package), on WinXP. I have
run the Network Server, using the script (batch file) in one window. In
another window, I am using "ij". While I can connect to the server using
following commands:-

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/firstdb';
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:firstdb';

however, using the following set of commands, I cannot --

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost/firstdb';
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/firstdb';
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/firstdb;user=usr';

For a DB, that has already been created earlier using --

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:firstdb;create=true';

Could someone please explain why, or point me to documentation on this. In
the reference-guide, I did see an example where the DB connection URI is
indeed of the form which doesn't work, however the example was not in the
context of the security settings !

thanks,
bdutta

Re: Newbie question: "jdbc:/localhost/dbname" doesn't work

Posted by Banibrata Dutta <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kristian:

Your counter-questions were enough to point me in the right direction.
Indeed, it wasn't clear to my in my first read that "ij" was itself acting
as the application using Embedded-server, when the original DB URL didn't
contain a hostname:port!

I had not really tweaked anything regarding the Security settings, just a
quick find in the Ref.Man. took me to the section on security, when looking
for examples of the hostname:port type of DB URL.

thanks,
Banibrata

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.