Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Josh McDonald <jo...@workcoverqld.com.au> on 2006/01/09 03:53:22 UTC

Noob Q: "Failed to obtain specified collection"

Quick question - what's this _actually_ mean? It's obviously found the
field, because if I change the reference in the JSP to something wrong,
it gives me a different error ("No getter found" or something similar).
Makes no real sense to me. Where should I look for my mistakes? I've
added bean references at the top of the JSP, they seem OK and don't
trigger any errors.

Cheers,
-Josh

--

"His comrades fought beside him, Van Owen and the rest...
       But of all the thompson gunners- Roland was the best."

Josh McDonald
Analyst Programmer
Information Technology
Ph: 61 7 3006 6460
Email: josh.mcdonald@workcoverqld.com.au

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The contents of this message are to be used for the intended purpose only and are to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.

Re: Noob Q: "Failed to obtain specified collection"

Posted by Rick R <st...@reumann.net>.
Josh McDonald wrote:
> Quick question - what's this _actually_ mean? It's obviously found the
> field, because if I change the reference in the JSP to something wrong,
> it gives me a different error ("No getter found" or something similar).
> Makes no real sense to me. Where should I look for my mistakes? I've
> added bean references at the top of the JSP, they seem OK and don't
> trigger any errors.

Is the get method that you are calling trying to return a collection?
Maybe it's being called but not getting the collection. Check the log
file or maybe the stnd out on the console for more specifics on where
the error is occurring and for other details.

--
Rick

Re: Noob Q: "Failed to obtain specified collection"

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.
A tag in your JSP is probably expecting a Collection, but the getXXX()
method it calls has a String (or some other non-Collection object)
return type.

Post the tag from your JSP that results in the error and the related
getter(s) from your ActionForm for more specific assistance.

-Max