Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <23...@comcast.net> on 2004/07/02 01:16:41 UTC

new subversion user question

Hi. I'm trying to follow this document (very well done!),
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch01s07.html
When you,
$ svn import /tmp/project file:///path/to/repos -m "initial import"

and all seems well, until I try,

$ svn checkout file:///path/to/repos/trunk project

because there is no "trunk project" in my path/to/repos. There's one in
my /tmp/project of course.

See,
[secretsvn@playpen110 lookHere]$ ls
conf dav db format hooks locks README.txt

Shouldn't there be a trunk? The way the command looks I think it should
be in the path/to/repos now. What am I not understanding?  Thanks for
any tips, links, ect.

--
-Eric
http://235u.home.comcast.net/

Re: new subversion user question

Posted by Eric <23...@comcast.net>.

Re: new subversion user question

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:19:57 -0400, Eric <23...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > You imported into the root of the repository, not into a trunk
> > subdirectory.  You want to do something like:
> >
> > $ svn import /tmp/project file:///path/to/repos/trunk -m "import"
>
> <I did this>
> [secretsvn@playpen110 secretsvn]$ svn import /home/secretsvn/temp/cpp
> file:///home/secretsvn/lookHere/trunk -m "import"
> Adding         /home/secretsvn/temp/cpp/trunk
> Adding         /home/secretsvn/temp/cpp/trunk/cpp
> Adding         /home/secretsvn/temp/cpp/trunk/Makefile
> Adding         /home/secretsvn/temp/cpp/branches
> Adding         /home/secretsvn/temp/cpp/tags
>
> Committed revision 2.
> [secretsvn@playpen110 secretsvn]$ cd lookHere
> [secretsvn@playpen110 lookHere]$ ls
> conf  dav  db  format  hooks  locks  README.txt
>
> I thought I would see my "imported" files here.  Is this how Subversion
> works?  Where are my files stored?  Or do they not actually get
> imported, just some how connected (forgive my terminology)?  Notice
> committed reversion 2.

The files are stored in the berkeley db database files, you can't just
'ls' inside the repository and see them.  When we talk about the
'repository filesystem' it's a 'virtual filesystem', not a literal
one.

> <then I did this>
> [secretsvn@playpen110 lookHere]$ su - eric
> Password:
> [eric@playpen110 eric]$ cd working
> [eric@playpen110 working]$ svn checkout file:///home/secretsvn/lookHere cpp
> svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///home/secretsvn/lookHere'
> svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
> /home/secretsvn/lookHere/db:
> Permission denied
>
> Mmmnnn...  I have permissions for just about everything in
> /home/secretsvn... set to 777.  Did I not write the URL correctly?  What
> do you think?
> (*thanks for your help)

Make sure you have write access to all the files inside the db
subdirectory of the repository.

-garrett

Re: new subversion user question

Posted by Eric <23...@comcast.net>.