Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Peter Rothermel <Pe...@watchguard.com> on 2002/05/01 01:34:38 UTC

Is ActivePerl required with a mod_perl-Apache installation

Is there anyway to build mod_perl and Apache so
that my target installation does not require ActivePerl
on WinNT platforms.

I'm currently doing my development on a WinNT that has
ActivePerl installed and in my PATH. This is where I'm
developing perl modules.  When I move my installation over
to a test WinNT machine without ActivePerl I get an error
when Apache hits the LoadModule line for mod_perl.so.

-pete

Re: Is ActivePerl required with a mod_perl-Apache installation

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 01:34 01.05.2002, Peter Rothermel wrote:
>Is there anyway to build mod_perl and Apache so
>that my target installation does not require ActivePerl
>on WinNT platforms.
>
>I'm currently doing my development on a WinNT that has
>ActivePerl installed and in my PATH. This is where I'm
>developing perl modules.  When I move my installation over
>to a test WinNT machine without ActivePerl I get an error
>when Apache hits the LoadModule line for mod_perl.so.

This is normal, because the mod_perl binary distribution for PPM is linked
against ActivePerl. Of course, you need Perl and Apache installed for
mod_perl to work.

Another solution you might want to try is the self-extracting
Perl-Apache-mod_perl archive. See "Win32 mod_perl-1.xx" at
http://perl.apache.org/preview/modperl-docs/dst_html/download/binaries.html
, then look at the documentation in the "readmes" directory that you get
when you run the "perl-win32-bin-x.x.exe" self-extracing archive.

This installation will provide you with precompiled Apache, Perl and
mod_perl, which only need to be moved around slightly to work.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be