Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> on 2014/10/24 14:48:57 UTC

Re: OpenOffice lost again 6000 users (was: Improved OOXML support?)

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 1:54 AM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> From: Andreas Säger [mailto:saegerei@t-online.de]
>
>> Being a customer, I do see things differently.
>> Every OOXML file is a vote against ODF.
>
> theoretically correct, but practically?
>
>> One day in future LO will save ODF as a secondary
>> option.
>
> Possible.
>
> But where is the problem? Either OOXML *is* ISO standard or is not ISO-standard.
>
> If the problem is however that MS is 'meddling' in the standard, then it is a political issue that requires policy responses - not a question of software development.
>
>> Finally MS wins
>
> There is no tomorrow (or "finally") for it - MS wins today.
>
> For example:
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Berliner-Finanzaemter-wechseln-zurueck-auf-Microsoft-Office-2430961.html
>
>> MS comes up with the next shit
>
> life is not a pony farm and competition is not a throw with cotton balls. It is about the competition and we have to face, and not whine.

To put it in perspective, since your note was sent, 6 hours ago, we've
had over 30,000 downloads of AOO.

I think we need to consider that there are two broad groups of users:

1) Those who choose which suite to use.

2) Those who have no choice, because their employer decides for them,
either directly, or via their selection of a Linux distribution.

For those who have a choice I think we do very well, especially for
those who also must pay themselves.   But clearly "selling" to a
corporation (or a government) is something else.   In some cases a
government has an internal "champion" who pushes adoption of open
source.   If he fails, he and the open source are gone.  But even if
he succeeds, he may later change jobs and his successor might have
other ideas.   I've seen this happen repeatedly in government with ODF
adoption.   What one energetic champion accomplishes is reversed by
someone later.

Regards,

-Rob