Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Benedict, Paul C" <pa...@merck.com> on 2005/02/03 16:12:44 UTC

Tiles and Facades

I read a rumor that said Tiles will become its own top-level subproject in
Jakarta. Is that true?

Also, I think Tiles is great, but I find it very annoying to litter every
JSP page with <tiles> tags to decorate my pages. While it makes sense to put
the tile definitions in XML when I do Struts development, sometimes JSP
needs to be accessed directly. Is there (or will be) any mechanism (like a
filter) to can automatically decorate JSP (ala SiteMesh)?

Thanks,
Paul

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.

Re: Tiles and Facades

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Not Jakarta, but Apache.  Jakarta is a subproject.

And it's no rumor....

 http://wiki.apache.org/struts/TilesTopLevel

You should only need to "litter" the layout file(s) that you need.  I
usually get away with 1 or 2.  In the projects that I have any control over,
linking directly to a JSP is unacceptable.  If Tiles doesn't cut the
mustard, use SiteMesh, or if you need both, use it in combination with
Tiles.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: Tiles and Facades

Posted by Shey Rab Pawo <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello, Paul,

I am not sure exactly what you are getting at here, although the topic
is clear.  I guess that one thing that makes reading this difficult is
that I have not investigated SiteMesh.  I do use Tiles definitions in
XML exclusively, and you seem to be talking about situations where
that is not done.  Can you expand on this a bit?

I am not working, obviously, on the Tiles development, so I won't be
able to answer your question in any event, but find the question
itself interesting.

Thanks,

Jack

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:12:44 -0500, Benedict, Paul C
<pa...@merck.com> wrote:
> I read a rumor that said Tiles will become its own top-level subproject in
> Jakarta. Is that true?
>
> Also, I think Tiles is great, but I find it very annoying to litter every
> JSP page with <tiles> tags to decorate my pages. While it makes sense to put
> the tile definitions in XML when I do Struts development, sometimes JSP
> needs to be accessed directly. Is there (or will be) any mechanism (like a
> filter) to can automatically decorate JSP (ala SiteMesh)?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Jack

--
The radiance of all the stars does not equal a sixteenth part of the
moon's radiance, likewise, good deeds giving us merit, all these do

Re: Tiles and Facades

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 10:12 AM -0500 2/3/05, Benedict, Paul C wrote:
>I read a rumor that said Tiles will become its own top-level subproject in
>Jakarta. Is that true?

There was considerable discussion about this on the dev list about a
month ago.  The intention first is to refactor Tiles to demonstrate
that it is independent of the Struts core.  Whether it continues to
live as a Struts sub-project, move to an Apache TLP, a Jakarta TLP,
or to Source Forge, Java.net, or any place else seems open, as far as
I can tell.

>Also, I think Tiles is great, but I find it very annoying to litter every
>JSP page with <tiles> tags to decorate my pages. While it makes sense to put
>the tile definitions in XML when I do Struts development, sometimes JSP
>needs to be accessed directly. Is there (or will be) any mechanism (like a
>filter) to can automatically decorate JSP (ala SiteMesh)?

If you like SiteMesh, why not use SiteMesh?  Is there something that
needs to be done to make it integrate better with Struts?  If not, I
don't see any reason to re-invent the wheel.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com