Posted to dev@kyuubi.apache.org by "Ray, Binay Kumar" <Bi...@sc.com.INVALID> on 2023/06/23 10:40:24 UTC

Kyuubi Kubernetes support for BI Tools

PUBLIC

Hi Team

We came across this great tool KYUUBI developed by your team, We are trying to incorporate it in our work. We have an OSS SPARK environment running on K8S with OSS Delta Lake. We can exec into the kyuubi container and use beeline to connect to the kyuubi server and get the data. But we want to connect our BI Tools such as PBI/Tableau to the Kyuubi server via an Ingress. However for some reason it's not working as expected. We can't find any documentation to do so, except for the below one where it is mentioned that load balancers and ingresses are not supported yet. Can you provide us a workaround or a timeline till when it will be supported?

Link: https://kyuubi.readthedocs.io/en/master/deployment/kyuubi_on_kubernetes.html

Your swift response is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Binay Kumar Ray
Principal Engineer
IT-Centre- Projects

Website:  http://scarf<http://scarf/>
M <tel:9853359644> 9853359644

SC GLOBAL BUSINESS SVC
RMZ Ecoworld,  6B,  8th Floor Bellandur,  Marathahalli ORR,
                Bellandur,  Marathahalli ORR,  Bangalore - 560103

sc.com<https://sc.com/>

Think before you ink. Print this e-mail only if necessary.

Re: Kyuubi Kubernetes support for BI Tools

Posted by Cheng Pan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Kyuubi supports the standard Hive-compatible THRIFT_BINARY protocol, it’s based on TCP, which allows all Hive clients (including BeeLine, JDBC, ODBC, Tableau, PowerBI, etc.) to connect.

So the thing you need to do is expose the Kyuubi Service TCP port(default 10009) to allow it access by the client outside the K8s network panel.

This can be achieved by multiple approaches, which highly depend on your K8s infrastructure. i.e.

- most Public Cloud provides vendor-specific LoadBalancer to achieve this;

- (I believe this is your case) Ingress does not support TCP or UDP services, but this can be achieved by underlying implementation capabilities, e.g. Nginx[1]

- there are some network technologies that can make the Pod/Service IP reachable from another network, e.g. BGP

[1] https://kubernetes.github.io/ingress-nginx/user-guide/exposing-tcp-udp-services/

Thanks,
Cheng Pan