Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2008/04/04 14:06:13 UTC

Storing the author of a document

Hi Lenya devs,

the question is about determining the name of the author of a document,
e.g. for inclusion in RSS feeds.

At the moment, the user ID is stored in the dc:creator meta data field.
This allows to determine the full name, but only if the user still
exists. If the user has been deleted from the system, there is no way to
find out her name.

IMO we have to store both values, the user ID of the original creator
(for internal purposes) and the full name (to be displayed). IMO the
dc:creator field should contain the full name to make rendering as
straightforward as possible. That would mean we'd have to introduce a
new field for the user ID of the creator, probably as part of the
http://apache.org/lenya/metadata/document/1.0 meta data.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Storing the author of a document

Posted by so...@apache.org.
On 4/6/08, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> > Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > > Hi Lenya devs,
> > > the question is about determining the name of the author of a document,
> > > e.g. for inclusion in RSS feeds.
> > >
> > > At the moment, the user ID is stored in the dc:creator meta data field.
> > > This allows to determine the full name, but only if the user still
> > > exists. If the user has been deleted from the system, there is no way to
> > > find out her name.
> > >
> > > IMO we have to store both values, the user ID of the original creator
> > > (for internal purposes) and the full name (to be displayed). IMO the
> > > dc:creator field should contain the full name to make rendering as
> > > straightforward as possible. That would mean we'd have to introduce a
> > > new field for the user ID of the creator, probably as part of the
> > > http://apache.org/lenya/metadata/document/1.0 meta
> data.
>  BTW, this issue - mapping identities of people to documents - seems to
> become a hot topic, especially in the educational domain (Open Access). See
> for instance
> http://www.heise.de/open/Wissenschaft-im-Zeichen-von-Web-2-0--/news/meldung/106052.
>
>  I think it is a real challenge to provide a mechanism which allows to
> identify the author of a document even after a long time. The author might
> have changed her name, her e-mail address etc. If someone has experiences
> about best practises, I think that could help us a lot.
>  -- Andreas

Best Practices in corporate and educational systems require eternal
user ids.  Practically, most people want IDs associated with their
names (changing with marriages and other events.)  Balancing both
requirements can be difficult.

For Lenya, IDs should be marked inactive rather than deleted.  Marking
an ID as inactive should:
1. Copy the current Groups and Roles to the ID file.
2. Remove the ID from all current Groups and Roles.
3. Move the ID file to a different directory.
4. The Inactive directory should be checked to disallow duplicating an ID .
5. Documents with inactive IDs can use the Inactive directory for name lookups.
Performance Improvement: Use a single file for inactive name lookups.
For administrative uses such as displaying an author's name stored as
an ID, default to showing the ID if no other name can be found.

Name changes should:
1. Create new ID.
2. Mark old ID inactive with translation to new ID.
3? Change records to use new ID.  WARNING: Distributed applications
may not find all uses of the old ID, and updating many records
increases chances for conflicts.  Better for system to update records
during normal operations or just translate as needed.

For IDs from other systems (e.g. LDAP), Lenya should create an
internal stub.  The stub contains the ID (as part of the filename),
the source location, and the latest known full name.  Whether Lenya
caches Group and other information (password?) is a an administrative
or design decision.  If the LDAP runs on the same server, requiring
LDAP may be good to save disk space. Some administrators may prefer
Lenya to work properly (and waste some disk space) when other systems
are offline.  (External systems are often required to check passwords,
but other access control information may often be cached.)

My preference is update access control on a schedule when the other
systems are available then use the local cache.  Laws and regulations
may require updates during sign-in or even during a session.  Politics
often create less well-designed systems.

HTH,
solprovider

Re: Storing the author of a document

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> the question is about determining the name of the author of a document,
> e.g. for inclusion in RSS feeds.
>
> At the moment, the user ID is stored in the dc:creator meta data field.
> This allows to determine the full name, but only if the user still
> exists. If the user has been deleted from the system, there is no way to
> find out her name.
>
> IMO we have to store both values, the user ID of the original creator
> (for internal purposes) and the full name (to be displayed). IMO the
> dc:creator field should contain the full name to make rendering as
> straightforward as possible. That would mean we'd have to introduce a
> new field for the user ID of the creator, probably as part of the
> http://apache.org/lenya/metadata/document/1.0 meta data.

+1

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.

Re: Storing the author of a document

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.uzh.ch>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> the question is about determining the name of the author of a document,
> e.g. for inclusion in RSS feeds.
>
> At the moment, the user ID is stored in the dc:creator meta data field.
> This allows to determine the full name, but only if the user still
> exists. If the user has been deleted from the system, there is no way to
> find out her name.
>
> IMO we have to store both values, the user ID of the original creator
> (for internal purposes) and the full name (to be displayed). IMO the
> dc:creator field should contain the full name to make rendering as
> straightforward as possible. That would mean we'd have to introduce a
> new field for the user ID of the creator, probably as part of the
> http://apache.org/lenya/metadata/document/1.0 meta data.

If we want to integrate external identity provider as done in the
lenya-1.2 shibboleth branch this issue will be important because user
information do not persist on the system. Therefore we have to store
informations, which should be persistent, as the full name, somewhere on
the cms as e.g. in the metadata as Andreas proposed.

Jann

Re: Storing the author of a document

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Am 04.04.2008 um 14:06 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> the question is about determining the name of the author of a
> document, e.g. for inclusion in RSS feeds.
>
> At the moment, the user ID is stored in the dc:creator meta data
> field. This allows to determine the full name, but only if the user
> still exists. If the user has been deleted from the system, there is
> no way to find out her name.
>
> IMO we have to store both values, the user ID of the original
> creator (for internal purposes) and the full name (to be displayed).
> IMO the dc:creator field should contain the full name to make
> rendering as straightforward as possible. That would mean we'd have
> to introduce a new field for the user ID of the creator, probably as
> part of the http://apache.org/lenya/metadata/document/1.0 meta data.
>
> WDYT?

This makes sense to me! +1

Jürgen