Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz> on 2003/08/26 05:22:19 UTC

ant task submission....compilewithwalls

Hello,
    What is the acceptance process of a new task?  I would like to put
this task in the ant repository for anybody else who needs it.  I have
attached the task, tests and doc for it.  I have put in the apache
licenses and stuff also.
thanks,
dean

Re: ant task submission....compilewithwalls-1

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
sorry, my open source project's license slipped in because I use a template
for that project and forgot to change one file and take it out.
   I will resubmit this with the apache license.
thanks,
Dean

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Dean,

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
actually, you probably can't use the task right now without a
workaround.  Found a bug that didn't exist in my eclipse environment
with the task.  The work around if you want to try it is to create the
build directory and put a file in the build directory.  For some reason,
the task is deleting javac's destdir if destdir is empty.
Dean

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
>At some point in the future, when the antlib concept is ready for
>prime time, we may have tasks that are part of Ant but maintained and
>distributed independently of Ant, which will remove many of the
>obstacles you currently face.

COOL.

>Apart from ant-contrib and other projects around Ant, you can always
>get an account and starts a project at sourceforge or savannah (you
>seem to like the GPL) or whichever.com or codehaus.org or ...

I wouldn't say I really like the GPL.  I know I love the apache one.  Didn't mean to accidentally put that in there.  It was for something else.  Each license has it's uses. :)

>And you can keep explaining and convincing the Ant committers that
>your task should become a part of Ant itself.

It's not that important.  I just believe I should post it somewhere for
others to use.  I will be sending mail to ant-contrib right after this
and see what happens.
thanks for all your guys' comments and help,
dean

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
with the upcoming changes in ant, I don't mind throwing it in
ant-contrib.  If anybody wants to mode it to the ant optional tasks
later, I am fine with that.  I am going to try to get it into
ant-contrib now, and get on with my other tasks for my open source
project.  If you do convince anyone though, let me know.  I would be
happy to support this task with bug fix and it's respective test case.
thanks,
dean

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz> wrote:

> Why don't we open up another module on apache for ant-contrib where
> the ant-contrib people have commiting access too?

I am a committer for both projects.  Just let me say that ant-contrib
is not managed the same way as Apache projects are supposed to be
managed.  ant-contrib uses the benevolent dictator style of project
managment while Apache values its meritocracy system.  Both have their
pros and cons.

Stefan

Re: ant task submission....compilewithwalls

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
I had another suggestion on this front.  Why don't we open up another
module on apache for ant-contrib where the ant-contrib people have
commiting access too?  Just trying to bring the ant-contrib project
closer as it seems highly related to ant.  I found a task I had been
looking for a long time ago and never knew about ant-contrib which had
it.  I am just really dissapointed news about ant-contrib is not
widespread(regardless of whether they accept my task or not, haven't
asked them that yet).
thanks for listening at any rate,
Dean

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
interesting.  I have seen that before and know remember it.  I neveer
looked into it because I thought it was for C/C++ and saw that and
stayed away from it.  Almost wish the description didn't have C/C++ and
I would have taken a look.
thanks for the info,
dean

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
interesting.  I never knew that existed.  That actually kind of scares
me because I am someone who constantly investigates knew things out in
the open source community like Abbot, Subversion, castor, and
cruisecontrol(back when it was alpha).  Ant-contrib was something I
never noticed.  It was not in ant's list of external docs nor was there
a link from the manual.  There may be some really good tasks in there,
but I never knew about it.
    Can I suggest trying something new possibly?  ant-contrib might be a
good idea, but is it possible to have the ant manual contain(ant
repository still would NOT contain the jars such as ant-contrib, just docs)
1.  Core Tasks
2.  Optional Tasks
3.  External Self-Contained Tasks
4.  External Tasks
Then, people who write tasks can put the task in ant-contrib and post
the documentation to ant, so at least it can get some visibility.
People could also include download links to the jars from the manual, to
download the additional things needed.  I think this would be very
useful.  Another option might be to employ maven and have ant's build
download the external docs?  In the meantime, I will send a mail off to
ant-contrib.
    I have one more suggestion.  Ant contrib was saying I have to change
the build file.  It would be really nice if the only thing we had to do
was drop in the ant-contrib jar in the lib directory of ant, and ant
used a different classloader to read out of unknown jars to check the
tasks.properties file, and if there was one automatically add the tasks
without changes to the build file.  I don't think it's that hard to do.
Search lib directory for jars not called ant.jar and optional.jar, and
then load that jar in a different class loader just to get the
properties file and read it in to get all the tasks.  What do you think?
thanks,
dean

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.
    ok, I am a moron.  I think I ran into the top of that when looking
for guidelines and must not have looked down far enough.  My apologies
for being annoying.
    Anyways, what you are saying kind of worries me.  I have no where to
really post this then?  I have a feeling this ant task is just going to
end up being used by me because I can't put it in some open source
repository to share it with others.  this is a self-contained task

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

Posted by de...@xsoftware.biz.
Confused by what you are asking. please see my questions below.

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>> Dean Hiller wrote, On 26/08/2003 13.59:
>>
>>> Currently at work we prevent this same thing by having separate source
>>> trees and people are complaining up a storm.

>>> This helps with that problem of allowing one to keep one source tree
>>> and put up walls that prevent other packages to be used from certain
>>> packages that are supposed to be independent.
>>

>> I like it. :-)
>>
>> I have never liked keeping separate directories for things, even if I do
>> it for the benefit it has in build separation.
>>

> I like a good layout of project.model. and project.view. trees; any
> instance of .view packages in the model class is a complete failure of
> separation and easily caught. But having more rigorous meta-rules is
> interesting.

Yeah, so I thought, until a developer once put a dependency in that caused
me a huge headache to get it back out.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Dean Hiller wrote, On 26/08/2003 13.59:
> Currently at work we prevent this same thing by having separate source
> trees and people are complaining up a storm.
> This helps with that problem of allowing one to keep one
> source tree and put up walls that prevent other packages to be used from
> certain packages that are supposed to be independent.

I like it. :-)

I have never liked keeping separate directories for things, even if I do
it for the benefit it has in build separation.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: ant task submission....compilewithwalls

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz> wrote:

> I see the html file in my sent mail, but once I received it back
> from the list, it is not there.

The list doesn't allow any HTML parts, not even attachments.

Stefan

Re: ant task submission....compilewithwalls

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.