Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/11/12 12:50:05 UTC

Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?

Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
threads currently running over on the dev@avalon.apache.org
concerning the establishment of a component repository
project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
the Avalon crew are currently debating.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2003, at 15:31, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> a content repository is a place where you store semi-structured
>>> data, you version it, you add metadata and you query it... it has to
>>> scale O(1) with the number of nodes (not even o(n), that's too much)
>>> and allow the smallest granularity possible (potentially, down to
>>> the very DOM node). Plusses are: granular ACL, node linking,
>>> transactionality, obvservability.
>>>
>>> a component repository is a library of java components, a sort of
>>> CPAN/PEAR/apt-get for java.
>>>
>>> Can you do a component repository with a content repository? yes, of
>>> course.
>>>
>>> Can you do a content repository with a component repository? no and
>>> would even be silly to try to do so.
>>

>> Just one more variation to complete the picture - a service directory.
>

> Oh god. [sound of stefano banging his head on the table]

Take an asprin!

>> A content repository can be viewed as a service.
>

> Stephen, everything can be viewed as a service. Escalating
> abstractions will not make it any easier for me to have the features I
> need, rather the opposite.
>
>> A directory can be used to discover a service provision solution
>> (using for example a repository of component descriptions).
>> Component descriptions can reference artifacts in an content
>> repository.  A component implementation can also use a content
>> repository as part of its implementation. Etc., etc.  In this respect
>> - the ideas of a content repository and component repository are
>> synergistic.
>

> As I said, a component repository can be built with a content
> repository. The opposite is simply not true.

Umm, did I suggest anywhere that it was true?

> My point is: there is no need for slide to look at what avalon is doing.

What I was originally responding to was the note from Edison Too
referencing a lack of certain services/components in Avalon  - a subject
which is relevant to the threads over on Avalon concerning a component
repository.  My response to you comments was simply agreeing with your
point concerning content/component and noting the respective synergies.

Cheers, Stephen.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On 12 Nov 2003, at 15:31, Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>> On 12 Nov 2003, at 12:50, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>
>>> Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
>>> threads currently running over on the dev@avalon.apache.org
>>> concerning the establishment of a component repository
>>> project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
>>> subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
>>> the Avalon crew are currently debating.
>>

>> a content repository is a place where you store semi-structured data,
>> you version it, you add metadata and you query it... it has to scale
>> O(1) with the number of nodes (not even o(n), that's too much) and
>> allow the smallest granularity possible (potentially, down to the
>> very DOM node). Plusses are: granular ACL, node linking,
>> transactionality, obvservability.
>>
>> a component repository is a library of java components, a sort of
>> CPAN/PEAR/apt-get for java.
>>
>> Can you do a component repository with a content repository? yes, of
>> course.
>>
>> Can you do a content repository with a component repository? no and
>> would even be silly to try to do so.
>

> Just one more variation to complete the picture - a service directory.

Oh god. [sound of stefano banging his head on the table]

> A content repository can be viewed as a service.

Stephen, everything can be viewed as a service. Escalating abstractions
will not make it any easier for me to have the features I need, rather
the opposite.

> A directory can be used to discover a service provision solution
> (using for example a repository of component descriptions).  Component
> descriptions can reference artifacts in an content repository.  A
> component implementation can also use a content repository as part of
> its implementation. Etc., etc.  In this respect - the ideas of a
> content repository and component repository are synergistic.

As I said, a component repository can be built with a content
repository. The opposite is simply not true.

My point is: there is no need for slide to look at what avalon is
doing. The opposite might be true, but I think that using a content
repository for a component repository is simply overkill. A nice and
simple web server and a few servlets for lookup/discovery would do the
job just fine.

--
Stefano.

Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2003, at 12:50, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
>> threads currently running over on the dev@avalon.apache.org
>> concerning the establishment of a component repository
>> project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
>> subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
>> the Avalon crew are currently debating.
>

> a content repository is a place where you store semi-structured data,
> you version it, you add metadata and you query it... it has to scale
> O(1) with the number of nodes (not even o(n), that's too much) and
> allow the smallest granularity possible (potentially, down to the very
> DOM node). Plusses are: granular ACL, node linking, transactionality,
> obvservability.
>
> a component repository is a library of java components, a sort of
> CPAN/PEAR/apt-get for java.
>
> Can you do a component repository with a content repository? yes, of
> course.
>
> Can you do a content repository with a component repository? no and
> would even be silly to try to do so.

Just one more variation to complete the picture - a service directory.

A content repository can be viewed as a service.  A directory can be

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edison Too <ed...@yahoo.com.sg>.
Thanks, will check out the Avalon list.

Cheers,
Edison

Posted by Edison Too <ed...@yahoo.com.sg>.

Slide optimisations

Posted by Nick Reddel <ni...@findesign.org>.
Hi

I´m developing a client application based on webdav, using Slide as the
server, which is accessing large collections (in the thousands), and I'm
running into problems with the time Slide takes to execute a PROPFIND on
large collections .

One thing I noticed in the  PROPFIND method is that ~30% of the total
method time is taken in the call to <getLabeledResourceUri> in
<VersioningHelper>, since the helper class retrieves all the node
descriptors (including their properties) from the store - so in fact the
revisions are retrieved from the store 2 or 3 times rather than once.

Anyway, the following patch on <VersioningHelper> improves the response
time of PROPFIND by 20-30%. The assumption is that the URI of the latest
version of a resource is the URI itself, in all cases (I think this is
true, from the code, and it works).

 * $Header:
/home/cvspublic/jakarta-slide/src/webdav/server/org/apache/slide/webdav/
util/VersioningHelper.java,v 1.91 2003/10/16 10:51:24 pnever Exp $
 * $Revision: 1.91 $

Original (lines 1933-1935)
  public static String getLabeledResourceUri(NamespaceAccessToken
nsaToken, SlideToken sToken, Content content, String resourcePath,
String label) throws SlideException, LabeledRevisionNotFoundException {
           NodeRevisionDescriptors revisionDescriptors =
        content.retrieve( sToken, resourcePath );

Patched (1933-1938)
  public static String getLabeledResourceUri(NamespaceAccessToken
nsaToken, SlideToken sToken, Content content, String resourcePath,
String label) throws SlideException, LabeledRevisionNotFoundException {
        if (label == null){
            return    resourcePath;
        }
        NodeRevisionDescriptors revisionDescriptors =
        content.retrieve( sToken, resourcePath );

Questions: is it worthwhile caring about optimisation yet, and is this
the proper forum for such a small patch, or should I address a Slide
developer directly?

Nick Reddel
mailto:nick@ella-associates.com

Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?