Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Lukas Theussl <th...@triumf.ca> on 2005/09/07 22:56:23 UTC

faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Hi,

A question to Arnaud or anybody who might know:

There is a problem in the latest faq plugin running together with xdoc
plugin-1.10-SNAPSHOT. The faq plugin requires xdoc > 1.9.2 so we do the
following check in plugin.jelly:

<j:if test="${empty(xdocPlugin) or
xdocPlugin.currentVersion.compareTo('1.9.2') lt 0}">
<fail>...</fail>
</j:if>

This always fails if the currentVersion contains a string like
"-SNAPSHOT". Is there an elegant way of comparing versions including the
"-SNAPSHOT" suffix (apart from cutting it off by hand)?

Thx for any hints,
Lukas

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> writes:
>

>>Lukas Theussl wrote:
>

>>>But then I'd be interested in writing a pdf plugin for m2, which should
>>>be a 'doxia sink' (from the plugin matrix, what does that mean?),
>

>>Basically, doxia works on a sink architecture - it takes a varierty of
>>input formats (html, xdoc, apt, docbook) parses them and sends them
>>through as events to a variety of output formats (xhtml, xdoc, rtf).
>>It's templated using Velocity, so the end result is a lot simpler and
>>faster.
>

> Hi Brett,
>
> this sounds very interesting and given my issues with xdoc, this might
> be something that I could look into for maven-1. Is there any more
> docs than what is available at doxia.codehaus.org?

Not for the moment, sorry. But if you have questions about it, we can
answer you on the doxia list.

Emmanuel

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> writes:

>Lukas Theussl wrote:

>> But then I'd be interested in writing a pdf plugin for m2, which should
>> be a 'doxia sink' (from the plugin matrix, what does that mean?),

>Basically, doxia works on a sink architecture - it takes a varierty of
>input formats (html, xdoc, apt, docbook) parses them and sends them
>through as events to a variety of output formats (xhtml, xdoc, rtf).
>It's templated using Velocity, so the end result is a lot simpler and
>faster.

Hi Brett,

this sounds very interesting and given my issues with xdoc, this might
be something that I could look into for maven-1. Is there any more
docs than what is available at doxia.codehaus.org?

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

RE: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Lukas, and others,

    It's done there's a new tag (plugin:available) that can be used to test if a plugin with a minimum release number is installed.
    The problem is that this new tag will be available only on the maven-plugin-plugin >=1.7
    If possible, I'd like to release it before the m1.1 final release.

Arnaud

  _____

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
>
> >WDYT ??
> >

> I think you are best to restrict it to Jelly, and just copy the logic
> around. We're really into the stopgaps now anyway.

I'll try but I'm not sure to succeed :-(
In Jelly it's not really easy because I must parse the release number and
compare integers (not strings).

>How are managed dependencies between plugins and their releases in m2 ?
> >

> All as special dependencies. It's completely different. Versions have
> proper ordering too :)

m2 is my friend ;-) !!!

Arnaud

- Brett

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Concerning this issue, I wanted to create a new Jelly tag developped in Java
to compare two releases number.
For example : 1.10-SNAPSHOT > 1.9

The problem is where can I put it ?

This tag will be used in several plugins.
I thought to put it in the plugin plugin so it could be used in maven 1.0.X.
But I have a problem with the bootstrap because we use the plugin:install
goal for each plugin so the plugin plugin is loaded first but the java code
isn't built. Thus I have a ClassNotFound :-(

If I add this tag in the core, plugins will become incompatible with maven
1.0.X for a silly thing !!

WDYT ??

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Lukas Theussl <th...@triumf.ca>.

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Brett Porter wrote:
> Lukas Theussl wrote:
>

>>But then I'd be interested in writing a pdf plugin for m2, which should
>>be a 'doxia sink' (from the plugin matrix, what does that mean?),
>

> Basically, doxia works on a sink architecture - it takes a varierty of
> input formats (html, xdoc, apt, docbook) parses them and sends them
> through as events to a variety of output formats (xhtml, xdoc, rtf).
> It's templated using Velocity, so the end result is a lot simpler and
> faster.

No, we don't use Velocity in Doxia, it's a pure java code.

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Lukas Theussl <th...@triumf.ca>.

> I've mentioned this before, but I think it is time to start version 2.0
> of this plugin and incorporate some of the m2 technology (doxia) instead
> of using JSL. Thoughts?

Don't expect anything from me there, I have zero experience with m2 so
far. I wanted to get rid of a bunch of trivial JIRA issues first before
digging into m2.

But then I'd be interested in writing a pdf plugin for m2, which should
be a 'doxia sink' (from the plugin matrix, what does that mean?), so

Re: faq & xdoc-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I think it's because 10 < 9 when doing a string comparison.