Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be> on 2006/02/25 17:41:37 UTC

Re: svn commit: r380918 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/test/layoutengine: disabled-testcases.xml standard-testcases/title_linefeed-treatment.xml

On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:34, spepping@apache.org wrote:

> Author: spepping
> Date: Sat Feb 25 02:34:41 2006
> New Revision: 380918

> Log:
> Linefeed treatment and white space collapse are not performed on
> fo:title. A test case to document this.

I think I see the problem WRT refinement white-space handling.

The XMLWhiteSpaceHandler uses as a basis the white-space related
properties that govern the white-space handling of the surrounding
block. In case of an fo:title, there is no surrounding block, so ...
To make it even more fun, the properties in question do not apply to
an fo:title. :-)

Now, by the time white-space handling is performed, if I judge
correctly, the Title's PropertyList will no longer be available, so
we can't even retrieve possible inherited values anymore.

Should we make Title a big exception here, and have it bind these
properties to instance variables anyway (just like a Block does)?

Cheers,

Andreas

white space in fo:title [was: Re: svn commit: r380918 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/test/layoutengine: disabled-testcases.xml standard-testcases/title_linefeed-treatment.xml]

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.
On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 05:58:17PM +0100, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2006, at 17:41, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
>
> >On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:34, spepping@apache.org wrote:

> >>Log:
> >>Linefeed treatment and white space collapse are not performed on
> >>fo:title. A test case to document this.
> >
> >I think I see the problem WRT refinement white-space handling.
> >
> >The XMLWhiteSpaceHandler uses as a basis the white-space related
> >properties that govern the white-space handling of the surrounding
> >block. In case of an fo:title, there is no surrounding block, so ...
> >To make it even more fun, the properties in question do not apply
> >to an fo:title. :-)

I had not thought of that aspect. Indeed, the properties
linefeed-treatment and white-space-collapse can only be set on
fo:block. But since linefeeds have to be treated and white space has
to be collapsed or not even in fo:title, some policy is applicable. Is
it the default policy of linefeed-treatment="treat-as-space" and
white-space-collapse="true"? I would think so.

It is not terribly important. Maybe we should let it rest, following
the spec.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 25, 2006, at 17:41, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:34, spepping@apache.org wrote:

>> Log:
>> Linefeed treatment and white space collapse are not performed on
>> fo:title. A test case to document this.
>
> I think I see the problem WRT refinement white-space handling.
>
> The XMLWhiteSpaceHandler uses as a basis the white-space related
> properties that govern the white-space handling of the surrounding
> block. In case of an fo:title, there is no surrounding block, so ...
> To make it even more fun, the properties in question do not apply
> to an fo:title. :-)
>
> Now, by the time white-space handling is performed, if I judge
> correctly, the Title's PropertyList will no longer be available, so
> we can't even retrieve possible inherited values anymore.
>
> Should we make Title a big exception here, and have it bind these
> properties to instance variables anyway (just like a Block does)?

Alternative solution: alter the XMLWhiteSpaceHandler, and the
location where it is initialized with the related properties. If this
latter step is moved to FObjMixed.bind(), we could pass it a
reference to the PropertyList. So, even inherited values could be
retrieved in case of an fo:title...

Cheers,

Andreas