Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2013/04/18 16:17:48 UTC

Working towards a new release...

Hi all,

As we promised in our last board report, we are working towards a release of ACE (I propose to call that 1.0). To start working towards that, I would like to start by asking everybody if there are blocking issues that, according to them, have to be fixed before we can cut a release? If so, this is the time to discuss them!

Also, there are a couple of things we still need to address. I tried to make a list, and as soon as we agree on them I will convert that to issues, link them to a version in Jira so we have a goal to work towards.

My list:

* Make sure all bundles are versioned as 1.0
* Make sure all exported packages are versioned as 1.0
* Complete all relevant bundle headers / metadata
* Ensure that src-build.xml and bin-build.xml work and that we can do a "source only" release.
* Finish release guide (ACE-106)
* Review and improve NOTICE and LICENSE (ACE-211)
* Release autoconf, deploymentadmin in Apache Felix and use these new releases instead of the SNAPSHOTs we use now.
* Update our website: everything under user, some dev pages and (see above) release guide

An issue to discuss:

We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because we have one unit test that uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what it would mean to release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal regarding this is still open. We have two options: a) remove BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't release one test and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from legal and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Working towards a new release...

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have we reached consensus on this matter? As I am working on LICENSE
> and NOTICE I would like to know if I need to drag in all BC/Jclouds
> notices.

*ping*

Nvm.. as the packaged artifacts now bundle these artifacts I went
ahead and added the (hopefully) appropriate notices. See ACE-211 for
more details.

grz
Bram

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Christian Vogel <ch...@cvogel.com>.
On 18.04.2013 16:17, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As we promised in our last board report, we are working towards a release of ACE (I propose to call that 1.0). To start working towards that, I would like to start by asking everybody if there are blocking issues that, according to them, have to be fixed before we can cut a release? If so, this is the time to discuss them!
>
> Also, there are a couple of things we still need to address. I tried to make a list, and as soon as we agree on them I will convert that to issues, link them to a version in Jira so we have a goal to work towards.
>
> My list:
>
> * Make sure all bundles are versioned as 1.0
> * Make sure all exported packages are versioned as 1.0
> * Complete all relevant bundle headers / metadata
> * Ensure that src-build.xml and bin-build.xml work and that we can do a "source only" release.
> * Finish release guide (ACE-106)
> * Review and improve NOTICE and LICENSE (ACE-211)
> * Release autoconf, deploymentadmin in Apache Felix and use these new releases instead of the SNAPSHOTs we use now.
> * Update our website: everything under user, some dev pages and (see above) release guide

I'll browse the open issues as well during the weekend. Could check all
bundles being versioned as 1.0 during that time as well.

> An issue to discuss:
>
> We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because we have one unit test that uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what it would mean to release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal regarding this is still open. We have two options: a) remove BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't release one test and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from legal and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

Same opinion like others already mentioned, keeping it out for this
release make sense.

Posted by Bram de Kruijff <bd...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Marcel Offermans
<ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As we promised in our last board report, we are working towards a release of ACE (I propose to call that 1.0). To start working towards that, I would like to start by asking everybody if there are blocking issues that, according to them, have to be fixed before we can cut a release? If so, this is the time to discuss them!
>
> Also, there are a couple of things we still need to address. I tried to make a list, and as soon as we agree on them I will convert that to issues, link them to a version in Jira so we have a goal to work towards.
>
> My list:
>
> * Make sure all bundles are versioned as 1.0
> * Make sure all exported packages are versioned as 1.0
> * Complete all relevant bundle headers / metadata
> * Ensure that src-build.xml and bin-build.xml work and that we can do a "source only" release.
> * Finish release guide (ACE-106)
> * Review and improve NOTICE and LICENSE (ACE-211)
> * Release autoconf, deploymentadmin in Apache Felix and use these new releases instead of the SNAPSHOTs we use now.
> * Update our website: everything under user, some dev pages and (see above) release guide

Great! I will start by taking a crack at ACE-211 and browsing the open
issues for potential show stoppers.

> An issue to discuss:
>
> We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because we have one unit test that uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what it would mean to release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal regarding this is still open. We have two options: a) remove BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't release one test and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from legal and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

If feel the jclouds nodelauncher stuff is not really at the core of
what ACE is about (yet). For that reason I propose to simply keep it
out of the release at this point.

Regards,
Bram

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.

On 4/18/13 4:17 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:

> An issue to discuss:
>
> We currently have a dependency on BouncyCastle: directly because
> we have one unit test that uses it, and indirectly, because jclouds
> uses it. Jan Willem looked into this and what it would mean to
> release this a while ago, but I believe our question to legal
> regarding this is still open. We have two options: a) remove
> BouncyCastle from the release, meaning we can't release one test
> and our jclouds support, or b) make sure we get a good answer from
> legal and a way forward so we can release this. Any thoughts?

If it would only be used for (unit)tests, then I would propose to move
it out of the trunk into a sandbox. However, as it is also used for
the cloud-support in ACE, I'm not in favor of removing all
crypto-related code. We do want to have jclouds support built into ACE
sooner or later, so we might well take the "pain" now.

There has been some discussion on the legal-discuss ML about how to
proceed, see
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.legal.discuss/2254> and
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.legal.discuss/2349> for
an overview. There is also a JIRA issue about this as well:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-145>.

IIRC, the situation is that adding a clause for Apache ACE on the
legal exports-page *should* be sufficient. However, I still haven't
had confirmation about this, perhaps any of the PMCs can ping legal again?

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around PulseOn and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
J.C. Wilslaan 29
7313 HK   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 30

http://www.luminis-technologies.com
http://www.luminis.eu

KvK (CoC) 09 16 28 93
BTW (VAT) NL8169.78.566.B.01

Re: Working towards a new release...

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It sounds good to me.

I postpone the Karaf and Kalumet support to the next ACE release.

Regarding BouncyCastle, I would remove BC from the release. We can
document how to enable support of jclouds.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré