Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/17 23:58:13 UTC

[Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

All,

It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2 release
is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this part
of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we not
only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to make
this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and use.
I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like to
radically simplify this.

Here is my proposal:

* Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and straightforward
Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
* When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release by
moving it to a subfolder.
* Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.

Here is my +1.

Andreas

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1

Sanka

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Andreas Veithen
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2 release
> is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this part
> of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we not
> only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
> pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to make
> this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and use.
> I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
> previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like to
> radically simplify this.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> * Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and straightforward
> Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
> * When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release by
> moving it to a subfolder.
> * Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
> ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Andreas

Sanka Samaranayake

http://sankas.blogspot.com/

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Amila.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> -Bill
>
> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 09:39 -0500, R J Scheuerle Jr wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > Rich Scheuerle
> > Senior Programmer, AIM SWG
> > IBM Web Services (JAX-RPC, JAX-WS, SAAJ)
> > Development, Customer Solutions, and Open Source
> > Apache Axis2 (scheu@apache.org)
> > 512-286-8420 (IBM TL 363-8420)
> >
> > Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote on 07/19/2010
> > 12:06:25 AM:
> >
> > > From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>
> > > To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
> > > Date: 07/19/2010 12:07 AM
> > > Subject: Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process
> > >
> > > +1!
> >
> > > On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Andreas Veithen
> > <andreas.veithen@gmail.com
> > > All,
> > >
> > > It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2
> > release
> > > is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this
> > part
> > > of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we
> > not
> > > only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
> > > pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to
> > make
> > > this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and
> > use.
> > > I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
> > > previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like
> > > radically simplify this.
> > >
> > > Here is my proposal:
> > >
> > > * Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and
> > straightforward
> > > Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
> > > * When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release
> > by
> > > moving it to a subfolder.
> > > * Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
> > > ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.
> > >
> > > Here is my +1.
> > >
> > > Andreas

> > > For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@axis.apache.org
> >

> > > --
> > > Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> > > Founder, Director & Chief Scientist; Lanka Software Foundation;
> > > http://www.opensource.lk/
> > > Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> > > Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org/
> > > Director; Sahana Software Foundation;
> > http://www.sahanafoundation.org/
> > > Visiting Lecturer; University of Moratuwa; http://www.cse.mrt.ac.lk/
> > >
> > > Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Nagy <na...@watson.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
+1

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1!

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Andreas Veithen
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> For the moment, the build assumes that some of the files in the
> documentation module are both valid Xdoc files and valid XHTML. More
> precisely, these files are submitted as Xdoc files to the Maven site
> plugin, but also included as XHTML files in the Documents Distribution
> by renaming them from *.xml to *.xhtml. That more or less works,
> because there is a large overlap between Xdoc and XHTML (and the site
> plugin doesn't use schema validation). However, the Xdoc processor
> will misinterpret or strip some of the XHTML specific attributes and
> tags. In addition, this prevents us from using Xdoc specific features
> such as automatic ToC generation or snippets. This also means that
> when modifying the documentation, one would have to check both the
> Maven site and the Documents Distribution to make sure that the
> modification gives the expected result.
>
> To increase the "Sanity Quotient", I think we need to make a choice
> here and agree on one of the following two options:
>
> 1. Consider them as Xdoc files. For the Documents Distribution we
> would then simply package a copy of the generated Maven site into to
> ZIP.
>
> 2. Consider them as XHTML. In that case, we would rename them to .html
> in SVN and include them as static content in the site. They would then
> be displayed in the same way as in the current Documents Distribution,
> i.e. without the navigation stuff generated by Maven.
>
> There are pros and cons for both solutions.
>
> Pros for Xdoc:
>
> * Better integration into the Maven site: all pages have the same
> navigation.
> * One can use APT (which is actually the recommended format in Maven
> 2) instead of Xdoc.
> * Possibility to leverage Xdoc features such as table of contents.
>
> Pros for XHTML:
>
> * Better layout and navigation (although that is probably only a
> matter of optimizing the Maven site styles and navigation).
> * No need to generate the site to validate modifications of the
> documentation.
>
> One should note that in 2010, when presented with the choice between
> browsing documentation online and downloading documentation as a ZIP
> to browse it locally, the vast majority of people will probably choose
> the online option. The only real use case for the Documentations
> Distribution is to be able to read the documentation while traveling
> or while working in a place without Internet connection. For these use
> cases, it should be enough to provide users an offline copy of the
> site.
>
> Therefore, my proposal is as follows:
>
> * As a short term solution, change the Documents Distribution to
> contain a copy of the generated site, i.e. consider the files as Xdoc,
> not XHTML.

+1. I think this is what synapse does. It has all the documents in Xdoc
format.

> * As a long term solution, convert the relevant parts of the
> documentation to DocBook and render it as HTML for inclusion in the
> site and as PDF for inclusion in the Documents Distribution. That has
> a real added value because the PDF version allows users to easily
> print the documentation.

+1.

The other most important part is to update the documents :). I'll try to go
through them.

thanks,
Amila.

> Thoughts?
>
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29, Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com> wrote:
> > +1, even static html is ok in my book. --Srinath
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Veithen
> > <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At the same time I will also remove the Google Analytics stuff, for
> >> the same reasons as in Axiom [1].
> >>
> >> Andreas
> >>
> >> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=951872

> release
> part
> make
> use.

> straightforward
> by

> > --

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

> * As a long term solution, convert the relevant parts of the
> documentation to DocBook and render it as HTML for inclusion in the
> site and as PDF for inclusion in the Documents Distribution. That has
> a real added value because the PDF version allows users to easily
> print the documentation.

+1.

The other most important part is to update the documents :). I'll try to go
through them.

thanks,
Amila.

> Thoughts?
>
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29, Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com> wrote:
> > +1, even static html is ok in my book. --Srinath
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Veithen
> > <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At the same time I will also remove the Google Analytics stuff, for

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

> * As a long term solution, convert the relevant parts of the
> documentation to DocBook and render it as HTML for inclusion in the
> site and as PDF for inclusion in the Documents Distribution. That has
> a real added value because the PDF version allows users to easily
> print the documentation.

+1.

The other most important part is to update the documents :). I'll try to go
through them.

thanks,
Amila.

> Thoughts?
>
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29, Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com> wrote:
> > +1, even static html is ok in my book. --Srinath
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Veithen
> > <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At the same time I will also remove the Google Analytics stuff, for

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

> * As a long term solution, convert the relevant parts of the
> documentation to DocBook and render it as HTML for inclusion in the
> site and as PDF for inclusion in the Documents Distribution. That has
> a real added value because the PDF version allows users to easily
> print the documentation.

+1.

The other most important part is to update the documents :). I'll try to go
through them.

thanks,
Amila.

> Thoughts?
>
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29, Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com> wrote:
> > +1, even static html is ok in my book. --Srinath
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Veithen
> > <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At the same time I will also remove the Google Analytics stuff, for

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
<an...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

> * As a long term solution, convert the relevant parts of the
> documentation to DocBook and render it as HTML for inclusion in the
> site and as PDF for inclusion in the Documents Distribution. That has
> a real added value because the PDF version allows users to easily
> print the documentation.

+1.

The other most important part is to update the documents :). I'll try to go
through them.

thanks,
Amila.

> Thoughts?
>
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29, Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com> wrote:
> > +1, even static html is ok in my book. --Srinath
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Andreas Veithen
> > <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> At the same time I will also remove the Google Analytics stuff, for

Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <sr...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
+1.

  - Dennis

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1

<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2 release
> is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this part
> of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we not
> only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
> pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to make
> this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and use.
> I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
> previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like to
> radically simplify this.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> * Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and straightforward
> Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
> * When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release by
> moving it to a subfolder.
> * Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
> ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Andreas

Sanka Samaranayake

http://sankas.blogspot.com/

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1!

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
+1.

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1

<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2 release
> is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this part
> of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we not
> only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
> pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to make
> this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and use.
> I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
> previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like to
> radically simplify this.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> * Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and straightforward
> Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
> * When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release by
> moving it to a subfolder.
> * Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
> ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Andreas

Sanka Samaranayake

http://sankas.blogspot.com/

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
+1.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1!

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1

<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2 release
> is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this part
> of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we not
> only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
> pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to make
> this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and use.
> I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
> previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like to
> radically simplify this.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> * Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and straightforward
> Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
> * When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release by
> moving it to a subfolder.
> * Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
> ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Andreas

Sanka Samaranayake

http://sankas.blogspot.com/

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1

<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> It looks like one of the major pain points when doing an Axis2 release
> is producing and deploying the Maven site. The complexity of this part
> of the process stems from the fact that in the (deployed) site we not
> only have the documentation for the current release, but also the
> pages for previous releases. There are a couple of ant scripts to make
> this work, but the stuff is difficult to understand, maintain and use.
> I think that the added value of linking to the documentation of
> previous releases doesn't justify this complexity, and I would like to
> radically simplify this.
>
> Here is my proposal:
>
> * Change modules/documentation to make it a simple and straightforward
> Maven site, without any links to or inclusion of previous releases.
> * When doing a release, we archive the site of the previous release by
> moving it to a subfolder.
> * Once the new axis.apache.org site developed by Milinda et al is
> ready, we can link to the archived Maven sites from there.
>
> Here is my +1.
>
> Andreas

Sanka Samaranayake

http://sankas.blogspot.com/

Re: [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
+1.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.