Posted to general@gump.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2012/12/21 07:51:46 UTC

strange DATE in Gump

While trying to debug a Gump run, i noticed some jars in the classpath
with strange filenames, e.g. ant-contrib-20122012.jar
I presume that that is expanded from the @@DATE@@ in project/ant-contrib.xml

Should that be YYYYMMDD so 20121220?

-David

Re: strange DATE in Gump

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25 December 2012 06:36, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2012-12-21, David Crossley wrote:
>
>> While trying to debug a Gump run, i noticed some jars in the classpath
>> with strange filenames, e.g. ant-contrib-20122012.jar
>> I presume that that is expanded from the @@DATE@@ in project/ant-contrib.xml
>
>> Should that be YYYYMMDD so 20121220?
>
> Right now @@DATE@@ on http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/index.html
> says 24122012 which looks strange for most people[1].  I recall
> wondering why it is so several times but never bothered to change it.
>
> It's very unlikely any harm could be done if @@DATE@@ was changed to a
> more common format.
>
> Stefan
>
> [1] for Germans the format is what you'd use when writing down the
>     current date.  I don't recall writing that code, though.

DDMMYYYY is also used in the UK; it's mainly (only?) the US who use MMDDYYYY

YYYYMMDD format would be much clearer; even better might be YYYY-MM-DD
as that would make the format obvious.

[MM cannot be larger than 12, so a date in YYYYMMDD format cannot be
confused with a date in DDMMYYYY or MMDDYYYY format unless we expect
dates from the 13th Century or earlier! - but it's easier to read with
separators]

And of course YYYY-MM-DD and YYYYMMDD naturally sort chronologically.

[I've not wriiten any Gump code]

Re: strange DATE in Gump

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.